soundproofing not going to plan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, just finished soundproofing my lounge and front bedroom in the alcoves ,this is what i did in each alcove,
1.built a 2x3 stud wall aprox 1 & 1/2 " away from the party wall (which is of single brick) fixed to side wall,chimney breast,floor & ceiling with screws and plugs and sealed all edges with firestop acoustic mastic
2. lined back of studding with visqueen then infilled studwork with rockwool rwa45 slabs tightly fitted
3. added 1 layer of 15mm soundblock via drywall screws and sealed between boards and all around edges with firestop acoustic mastic
4. added final layer of 12.5mm of soundbloc with green glue on back (2 tubes per sheet) then screwed and sealed edges
only thing i have left is to tape and mud the final layer joints and screws for decorating, but at this stage i still hear the neighbours which is worrying .as i have added a woodburning stove and opened up my chimney and added a flue liner
a/ do you think its there were the problem is also as its a shared chimney stack and its hard to tell were the noise is leaking .
b/ do you think shoveing rwa45 up the chimney will help soundproofing a lot or do i need to backfill to the loft with vermiculite which is the hardest option for me but if its superior to stuffing the rockwool up i will consider.
i also sealed under the ground floor with soundfoam all gaps between joists and brick as i think its shared joists also and shoved rwa45 inbetween ceiling voids against party wall after foaming small pieces of soundblock in first as i'm not after perfection but some good improvement,
thanks please pick out mistakes
c/ should i have screwed the studwork to the chimney breast(side walls)?
d/ am i giving the green glue not enough time to dry, I did it 2 or 3 days ago?

also not sure if the party wall is single layer,double layer with a cavity or without a cavity

If the party wall is of a double layer if brick and i have built a studded wall off this have i created a 3 leaf wall which is a bad thing right?

thanks

also if i need vermiculite granules insulation were can i get it from in the UK for chepest price?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Sound can be transferred thru any solid material so it may travel under floors,across loft, chimney breast, windows open or closed, thru floor joists and open chimney, you may even be sharing a flue.
You can reduce noise but 'Proofing' is virtually impossible. :cry:

yes i said ,as i think i did ,that im not after perfection just improvement and i want to know if i followed the right steps and if someone could answer my questions posted that would be a great help
as i think the main culprute is the chimney breast which i opened up for a wood burner stove which would be the option to shove rwa45 rockwool up there or backfill with vermiculite and if theres a great difference between the two? if anyone has experience in trying to reduce sound through the chimney breast

thanks for the reply ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back