Source for low energy windows and doors please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace 9 windows, 3 doors and a patio door with the best insulated I can afford.

I've had a few quotes but none of the companies seem interested in the insulation. They're vague about the performance of the hardware which makes me think they're not going to give a stuff about fitting them carefully let alone air tight.

Can anyone recommend suppliers of tapes etc to fit and manufacturers of upvc windows and doors within striking distance of me... Mid Wales/ Shrewsbury area?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of hardware performance questions are you asking?

You can go too mad on thermal performance of a window. Triple glazing for instance. The added cost of upgrading to triple will never really be repaid by the energy savings you make, Maybe in really cold countries but not here.

The best PVC frames on the market are probably Residence 9 windows but they cost about 3 times as much as standard windows. Again the cost will never pay for itself.

Personally I would say go for a window that you like the look of (I like Liniar and Eurocell) and make sure they are well fitted. Ask if the fitters will be foaming around the windows.

If money is no object look at Residence 9 triple glazed windows.

Thanks for your advice gazman

I'm wanting to spend a sensible amount. I've read that triple glazing is overkill, and think I'd be very happy with as good as possible double glazed as I can afford. I don't think I can stretch to external insulation so I've got to be realistic. Still, air tightness seems important. I have to replace the boiler anyway, so there may be some wriggle room for something with a view to upgrading the whole house at a later date.

BTW it's an 80's detached house sunk into a steep incline with the front door and living space upstairs as is quite common.

Local companies are quoting U values of 1.2 overall. I think you're right, fitting is crucial. I'll ask about foaming.

Its very rare that we get asked about u values. In the 7 years since I set up on my own it only comes up on new build jobs where the windows are specified by an architect.

I'm asked so infrequently that I have to go and look it up each time. There is so much technical information that we could give that would just totally confuse a customer and possibly but them off buying, Plus I think my head would explode if I tried to remember every single BS code and value to every make of door and window that I fit.

A u value of 1.2 is quite reasonable I would say without getting into over the top specifications.

Its good that you are doing you homework and looking at local company's. Stay away from the big national company's.
You could also ask if the fitters and employed or self employed. If the latter the are paid about £50-80 per window fitted so its in their interest to throw the windows in as fast as possible. You will often see the big company's turn up and do a house in a day where as I would spend a week on it.

It may be worth having a walk up and down your road to see who has the nicest looking windows or even asking for recommendations on Facebook too.

Sponsored Links
Interesting thanks. I've been quoted £4500 minus fitting, to 6k fitted or 8k fitted from another company with slightly better windows. An independent fitter has estimated two days (2 blokes). Perhaps that's a bit too quick then. I'll check with the other company how long they estimate it will take.

They sell it like installed quick is a good thing. I'm thinking I'd do it myself just to do it thoroughly and do a better job. I'll definitely ask on Facebook too.

It does depend on how many windows you have and many other factors too.
External brick work rather than render is alot faster. Also if the old frames are 65/70mm thick (modern windows) as opposed to the older 90/100mm thick that will make quite a big difference on fitting times.

Im a bit unusual in the window fitting game as I plaster or render the windows in rather than using trims whenever possible. Most company's just trim everything which is much faster than what I do.

Yes I'm not keen on strips at all. I'd far rather do the same as you. My independent fitter knows these houses and says removal is extremely easy. He's fitted the cheaper windows throughout his own house.

I've been interested in passivhaus/ enerphit for quite a while. They say that prices are coming down. I honk there should be more support for these kind of improvements. Far better than subsidising energy production.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back