spacers or not when wall tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've done loads of floor tiling and never bother with spacers...

when wall tiling though the tiles can slip, damn gravity,

is it the done thing to always use spacers when wall tiling?

Sponsored Links
no you can use string, as long as its the right thickness and type. acts as a spacer and then you pull it out and any excess adhesive comes out with it

I've done quite a bit of wall tiling without spacers. Most of the time, the tiles will stay put without them. On the odd occasion where they're inclined to slip, (such as over a dip in the wall) I'll wedge something in the joint at the bottom. (match sticks are not too bad).

These temporary spacers can also be recycled as they only need to be in place for about half an hour or so.

I use the spacers for wall tiling, but I stick them in edge on as it were. I usually use them for the vertical spacing as well, but it depends on the quality of the tiles. Sometimes the tiles aren't exactly the same size so when using spacers it can lead to a situation where the tiles get out of step. It's easy enough to keep a nice vertical grout line by eye, and with the occasional bit of help from the spacers for the horizontal lines in this situation.

When the adhesive has set enough that the tiles don't slip I take the spacers out and recycle most. Then I take a small flat bladed screwdriver or strippping knife and run it down the grout lines to take out any excess adhesive so it doesn't show through the grout.

Sponsored Links
HandyJon said:
Sometimes the tiles aren't exactly the same size so when using spacers it can lead to a situation where the tiles get out of step.
This is the main reason I don't use spacers. It also gives you flexibility to overcome other considerations. Such as when the bottom (or top) of a panel of tiles is not quite level. Instead of starting (or finishing) with a tapered coarse of cut tiles, you can taper the joints along the entire length to gradually take up the difference. This, then makes the finished panel look square, rather than accentuating it's inconsistency.

I always use spacers as handyjon does. recycling them as i go but i dont get adhesive in my joints. I also always tile level and plumb never tapering the joints always rake cutting the top and bottom rows of tiles if required.

Ty ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back