Speed Fit Fittings assistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am knocking through a bathroom/toilet. On one side of the wall that is going is a towel radiator and on the other side is a tiny radiator. A new towel radiator will be purchased but it appears that nearly all of these have the fittings coming out of the wall. The small radiator in the toilet will be redundant.
What i need to work out is, is it possible to put up a wall mounted towel radiator using speedfit fittings (the plastic things)? The wall that the radiator will be on will be a masonry wall so channels will need to be cut etc but not too sure if its possible to do this kind of work using these plastic type, anyone done this before. Is trunking required? Plastered over etc
I plan to just extend the existing ins/outs to the new site for the towel radiator.
Also i want to decommision the redundant radiator. Is this as easy as just capping off the ends?
L

Sponsored Links
A new towel radiator will be purchased but it appears that nearly all of these have the fittings coming out of the wall.

Which fittings? The pipe fittings, or the mounting fittings?

If you mean the pipe fittings, no they normally come out the bottom; you can run vertically down to the floor if you have straight valves.

Towel rails, speed fit fitting in my book have only one rightful place- in the skip.

Keep the radiator, wake up and and let the idea be a dream only

A heat emitter (radiator) heats the room based on surface area. If you want a job to do, calculate the surface area of the radiator. Then do same for shiny chrome plate towel rail and you will most likely find the area will be lacking ;)

I have had a re-think and yes, a radiator in there is probably the way to go. Can these be connected using speedfit? I notice that on many i have seen , they appear to have chrome tails into the floor which look very nice indeed but all the speedfit stuff that i have seen appears to be white?

Sponsored Links
Speedfit is indeed white, and furthermore will not connect to chrome pipes, or at least not for very long before it blows off again.

You can use Speedfit to connect radiators, but it looks rough as a badger's arris. Better to use copper

I have just seen that you can get shrouds for the tails (hooray). That should do the job.
One more question though, which thickness of the pipe? 10mm, 15mm, 22mm.
I would guess at 15mm but i do plan on using the plastic fittings but not convinced

Either 10mm or 15mm depending on what's on the rest of your system

Unless you have a microbore system then your pipes need to be 15mm. A towel rail can be connected using either straight or angled valves which means pipes can come from the wall or from the floor. The same goes for a radiator. You can use speedfit fittings with copper pipe.

If you fit a radiator, you could do what I did which is fit a chrome rail above it for drying towels.

Is it possible to do all of the piping under the floor using plastic and then use copper to go up to the radiators?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back