Split load with two RCDs

I think the following should do it:

get MKs largest CU enclosure (the one that takes 21 modules total)
get two split load kits.
get appropriate MCBs/RCDs

The split load kit contains cables designed to tap off the busbar and neutral bar for the non-rcd side to feed the RCD side, I can't see any impediment to using two of them to feed two seperate RCD sides.

I was thinking along those lines, though I would need to find a good way to add another neutral bar for the second RCD.

I did email Hager as they have a dual RCCB board with a single switch disconnector and got this reply.

Hager tech support said:
The VC810C has an isolator switch controlling both an
80amp100mamp rcd and an 80amp30mamp with 10 outgoing
ways which can be configured in any way from 9 +1 to 5 + 5.

......The isolator switch only switches the 2 RCD's and not
any individual mcb's.

........The VC866H is a 100amp isolator switch controlling
2 x 80amp30mamp RCD's with 6 outgoing ways on both RCD's.

This consumer unit will comply with the 17th edition regulations as
they stand at present.We will be bringing out other units within the
next month or two that will also comply .

Aside from the argument about whether a consumer unit can 'comply' with the 17th regulations if installed in the incorrect way or situation, it seems to me that the suppliers are missing out on a marketing opportunity here. Or is what I have read elsewhere true in that some of the additional RCD requirements were only included at a late stage and they are still catching up?

I may well end up with a twin RCD board, protected by a Time Delay RCD in a separate enclosure. But given the number of quite large and/or oddly shaped houses around my area with TT supplies that are never going to be PME'd, I will keep looking for a 'neater' solution.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
How do you propose to work a single point of isolation into that installation?

Would you fit a stand alone isolator in an insulated enclosure, or would you have the 100mA RCD also feeding the 30mA RCDs?

MK's largest CU enclosure has three neutral bars so you could build one in it with no trouble.

Oops, apologies, didn't see that.

I retract my comment about neutral bars! :)

Thanks plugwash, I'll take a look at that. Just heard today I got the quote so best get on and order one, but I will keep looking for the solution I see in my head.

Gavin

if you are only planning to use circuits covered by 2x30mA RCDs, you dont need a 100mA RCD, just use a normal isolator ?

Sponsored Links
if you are only planning to use circuits covered by 2x30mA RCDs, you dont need a 100mA RCD, just use a normal isolator ?

True, but I may end up running two boards from the 100ma RCD to cover all the circuits so makes sense to put one in now. I may well replace the 25A rated 30ma that is currently protecting every circuit in the house :rolleyes:

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back