Split stair treads/winders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm after a bit of advice. My stairs have always creaked since we bought the house 3 years ago however over the past few months I've noticed that they have got worse. Today I've have had a look under the stairs and have noticed that most of the wide winders have got splits in them as there is no support. Is this something that I can repair or will they need replacing?
Many thanks
Dave

Attachments

• 20210309_192108.jpg
    20210309_192108.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
The winder treads were probably made-up by glueing two pieces of wood together and that joint is where they have cracked. This is not uncommon in Victorian houses. They would not have had additional support beneath them. Often when stairs creak it can be traced to missing or loose wedges and/or glue blocks. Your stairs appear to be lacking in glue blocks. The damaged treads can be strengthened by cutting a close fitting piece of something like 18mm plywood and screwing this to the underside, taking care to use screws which aren't so long that they pierce to tops of the treads

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for that. I've had a look and wedges all seem OK however only the 1st 3 steps have any glue blocks. Will follow your advice and fit some 18mm ply and will also look at adding a bit more support
Many thanks
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back