Splitting up large bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Dormer bungalow with large rear bedroom with 4 velux windows (GGL104's, not big) and a small rear window on the rear elevation.

Approx dimensions 7x8m though its a slightly odd shape (longer on one side by about 1.5m).

Want to split it into 2 smaller rooms, seems simple on principle but wondering if the velux windows alone in one room would be OK for a bedroom? Or does some sort of fire escape have to be considered?

Going to draw up a plan then speak to a builder for advice and will ultimately need a BCO too I guess, but any other advice appreciated too.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Habitable rooms on the upper storey need to have direct access onto the staircase AND an escape window/door. The window/door needs to have an openable area of 0.33 sq.m (e.g. 450 x 750mm) and the bottom of the openable area is to be max. 1.1m above floor level. I'd be surprised if the velux's complied with the BR requirements.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

The rear window is approx 700x700 but is higher than 1.1m off the bedroom floor level. It also exits into the polycarbonate roof of a conservatory.

The bungalow was extended in 1994 and this rear room is on the plans as a "Hobby/workroom" even though it would clearly be used as a bedroom. I did raise that with the solicitor but she said it was on the completion certificate as a bedroom.

Thanks again.

There's no difference between a Hobby/workroom and a Bedroom for building regs, they're both habitable rooms.

In estate agents' parlance a Hobby/workroom usually means it's impossible to fit even a baby's bed in the room.

Sponsored Links
There's no difference between a Hobby/workroom and a Bedroom for building regs, they're both habitable rooms.

Thanks - yes i did wonder, as presumably BCO's have to look beyond what the current owner might want from the room to what it may potentially be used for in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back