Spool Head For Spear & Jackson Petrol Strimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi purchased a Spear & Jackson strimmer from Argos last year (SBC33N1). And so far have gone through two of the rubbish plastic spools! (the insides get "mangled" by the strimmer line!!) so pulling the wire out becomes almost impossible.

So i would like to know if anyone has any idea if i could purchase an alloy/steel spool head instead of the stupid plastic ones. I have looked for an "official" Spear & Jackson replacement however can only find the plastic ones! So i was wondering if there is one from another make that will fit instead??

Any ideas??

Thanx.

Sponsored Links
same problem............
well not quite.
The original has served me well (approx. 5 years)
Now I need a replacement so purchased a complete spool head from Magic Parts. It arrived (looked very Plastic'y)

fitted and after 20 minute of use the complete unit failed. Told a video of it and emailed off to Magic Parts. email back told me I hadn't fitted it correctly or that the unit had over heated.
The job I have for the strimmer hasn't changed so why would the original last 5 years and a replacement 20 minutes.

Can't seem to find a spears and Jackson company around to take ownership or provide working spares. with a warranty that means something.

Hi purchased a Spear & Jackson strimmer from Argos last year (SBC33N1). And so far have gone through two of the rubbish plastic spools! (the insides get "mangled" by the strimmer line!!) so pulling the wire out becomes almost impossible.

So i would like to know if anyone has any idea if i could purchase an alloy/steel spool head instead of the stupid plastic ones. I have looked for an "official" Spear & Jackson replacement however can only find the plastic ones! So i was wondering if there is one from another make that will fit instead??

Any ideas??

Thanx.

can you post a pic of the strimmer gear and the head(spool).

they are all 'plasticky' ..except for the solid aluminium ones that you have to feed manually and they have a problem in that they development sharp edges and cut your strimmer line off quite often.

-just to get this clear-you screw the new base of the head on yes? secure it? place the spool of line onto/into the base? put the line through the cover and snap the cover on?

is it an autofeed bump head or a manual fee thing?

sounds like you are missing a part or have put it on funny?

Sponsored Links
unscrewed the left hand thread retainer/bump head, removed the spool holder and removed the spool head. No screwdrivers no tools all by hand.
inserted the new spool head, new spring, new spool holder and secured with new left hand (green Plastic) bumper.

20 minutes of cutting and it just wrapped the twine around the spool. cutting nothing. when I stopped the strimmer to investigate the head was no longer secured by the hex shaped back, this was now a nice smooth round plastic formation. the spool plastic part had the teeth removed of it and the part touching the green left hand thread was rubbed. the green plastic cap which houses the 13mm hex head bolt was un-removable , the green plastic was no longer holding the hex head of the bolt, just running around on it - slipping.

can you post a pic of the strimmer gear and the head(spool).

they are all 'plasticky' ..except for the solid aluminium ones that you have to feed manually and they have a problem in that they development sharp edges and cut your strimmer line off quite often.

-just to get this clear-you screw the new base of the head on yes? secure it? place the spool of line onto/into the base? put the line through the cover and snap the cover on?

is it an autofeed bump head or a manual fee thing?

sounds like you are missing a part or have put it on funny?

and the actual spool is definitely in the right way-not feeding the wrong way-upside down? did you thread the line yourself?

No the unit came with the plastic gutt already installed . as for putting the spool in upside down.... it only can go one way as the spring has to sit into the spool

sorta sounds like the spring isnt doing it job and it on release all the time? but then that doesnt explain the spool holder fitting being rounded off..

spool came with gutt already installed. spool can't fit in the wrong way as the spring has to be installed to the spool & spool head. also the spool is wide enough and recessed for the spring and the other side is (was) barely wide enough to pass over the spud from the strimmer to which the M8 left hand threaded bolt screws into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back