Spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have taken down the Latt and plaster ceiling in the one of the bedrooms and wondered when i re board it etc i want to put spots in the ceiling. When i get a sparky in can he feed the spots from the the original light fitting in the ceiling, is that how he does it.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have taken down the Latt and plaster ceiling in the one of the bedrooms and wondered when i re board it etc i want to put spots in the ceiling. When i get a sparky in can he feed the spots from the the original light fitting in the ceiling, is that how he does it.
Thanks Lee

That's about the best way to do it, yes. Provided all your existing wiring & consumer unit is up to scratch.

Yes, but in this age of austerity, theres a lot to be said for pendant lighting. I've been to my mother's and taken down two halogen spot bars and replaced them with pendants with low energy lamps. Its gone from 400 watts to 22 watts for lighting two bedrooms. The rooms are evenly lit, no glare, and cheaper.

She's not terribly short of money for the electric or anything, its just that nobody needs 200 watts to light a bedroom, when far better means of lighting are available.

Of course, you may have decided on LED spots, in which case good on you, but do experiment first before you decide on a brand - they are still hit and miss in terms of quality.

Sponsored Links
I assume then that LED is best option and are there better makes to aim for.

Well actually the best option is to have a single pendant light or ceiling light which will give more than adequate light and can be controlled by a dimmer if you wish. Downlighters halogen or LED will give you small spots of light in the room and perhaps should be called mood lighting.

As Steve said they will cost you significantly more to run than normal lights. Furthermore, you will have to determine the most appropriate way to comply with Appoved documents B and L.

My mum recently replaced 3 halogen spots with 6 LEDs in her bathroom.

3 x 50w = 150w.
6 x 3w = 18w.

This is a no brainer.

However, if you choose LEDs, choose the most expensive you can find. Its an investment because they last a long time. My mum's were £15 from B&Q. Dont buy those with 21 LEDs in them, they are cack. The ones with 1 or 3 higher powered LEDs are much better.

You cant dim LEDs, and you need more of them to light the room evenly as they are even more directional than halogen.

Any more Q's please ask

I may keep the ceiling rose light and maybe have 3 small led's for mood lighting, can the sparky keep the ceiling light and put 3 spots of it but will he be able to do it so they can be lit independant to the ceiling rose or is this not possible of existing lighting.

I may keep the ceiling rose light and maybe have 3 small led's for mood lighting, can the sparky keep the ceiling light and put 3 spots of it but will he be able to do it so they can be lit independant to the ceiling rose or is this not possible of existing lighting.

Should be no problem if he/she has reasonable access to the ceiling - 2 gang switch or 1 gang and dimmer.
The electrician would just take the power from the ceiling light rose or junction box.
But remember for the lights to be separate he will have run another cable down to the switch.

Hang on this is the bedroom - why do you need mood lighting here ;)

However, if you choose LEDs, choose the most expensive you can find. Its an investment because they last a long time. My mum's were £15 from B&Q. Dont buy those with 21 LEDs in them, they are cack. The ones with 1 or 3 higher powered LEDs are much better.

You can get 3x1w led GU10 replacement spots from one of those chinese websites (dealextreme - not advertising, honest guv) if you can put up with a 3 week delivery time. Mine cost just under £5 each and work fine. Soon be cheaper still.

That said, the focus on the led ones (not just dx's) is much tighter and the colour is noticably different. The beam spread doesn't hit the walls as early, so if you just swap the one in a roomful it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

But yeah, 3 watts and COLD compared to 50w and a fire hazard is quite an incentive.

Philips also do a 35w "EcoHalo" gu10 that claims to give the same output as a 50w. Got some here but not tried them yet, just a smaller bulb, like a car headlight, inside the normal gu10 shell.

You can get 3x1w led GU10 replacement spots from one of those chinese websites (dealextreme - not advertising, honest guv) if you can put up with a 3 week delivery time. Mine cost just under £5 each and work fine. Soon be cheaper still.

That said, the focus on the led ones (not just dx's) is much tighter and the colour is noticably different. The beam spread doesn't hit the walls as early, so if you just swap the one in a roomful it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

But yeah, 3 watts and COLD compared to 50w and a fire hazard is quite an incentive.

How hot do LED lights get - I can't help but notice the fin arrangment behind the light which from my own experience seems to get extremely hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back