Spray paint disater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We spray painted the house with undercoat before we moved in but unfortunately this did not stick in most areas. The paint either ran or left a blotchy effect like little maps. We have been informed that the plaster was to smooth and shiny, too much paint could have been applied etc. etc. but no solutions to rectify this. Can anyone help. We want to paint the hall way now but when we painted previous rooms the paint would not stick to the undercoat and therefore we had to sand the whole undercoat off. Not what you want to be doing really !!!! Please help :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
What type of Undercoat is it ? What surface did you spray ?

Third_Eye said:
What type of Undercoat is it ? What surface did you spray ?

We sprayed all walls and ceilings and the floor took the overspray!!! It's a new house and therefore no doors etc. were on at the time of spraying. Not sure of undercoat used, just remeber huge buckets and it was recommended for the machine used and remeber you had to had water to it. My husband would probably remember and maybe still even has one of the buckets left up in the roof space. He will hopefully take a look this evening when he is home from work.

Have you come across this before??? Thanks for getting in contact with us.

I need to know the make and type of undercoat before any comments can be made....................

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
I need to know the make and type of undercoat before any comments can be made....................

The paint used was Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion (ideal for new plaster) brilliant white - The Professionals Paint. Would you be able to advise any further. I look forward to your reply. Many thanks

First of all the paint you used was not an Undercoat. It is an Breathable Emulsion. Why have you chosen to apply paint with Spray whilst using Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion ! Also, when using Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion on new plaster it MUST be sealed prior to using Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion with Vinyl Matt or a suitable Leyland Primer. So, this seems to be your problem with the the paint not sticking as this maybe an reaction with the Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion being applied directly onto bare/new plaster, as it should have been sealed with Vinyl Matt thinned down by 10% water. My advice is to STOP spraying the paint as it is piontless (in my opnion) when using emulsions. Use a brush and a roller. Try and rub down ALL previously coated surfaces to a smooth surface. Then this time use Leyland Vinyl Matt thinned down by 10% water for first coat. Then apply a second coat neat.

Third_Eye said:
First of all the paint you used was not an Undercoat. It is an Breathable Emulsion. Why have you chosen to apply paint with Spray whilst using Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion ! Also, when using Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion on new plaster it MUST be sealed prior to using Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion with Vinyl Matt or a suitable Leyland Primer. So, this seems to be your problem with the the paint not sticking as this maybe an reaction with the Leyland Super Leytex High Opacity matt Emulsion being applied directly onto bare/new plaster, as it should have been sealed with Vinyl Matt thinned down by 10% water. My advice is to STOP spraying the paint as it is piontless (in my opnion) when using emulsions. Use a brush and a roller. Try and rub down ALL previously coated surfaces to a smooth surface. Then this time use Leyland Vinyl Matt thinned down by 10% water for first coat. Then apply a second coat neat.

Hi again thanks for getting back to us. When we hired the machine the paint was recommended to us. We have been in the house almost 3 years now so we are unable to spray paint now as it would be too much hassle and messy. The house has been drying out in this period as many cracks have appeared. Thanks for the above comments we now know where we went wrong should we build another house in the future. Now that the damage is done and we want to rectify it i.e some of the runs etc. is there anything we should be doing? In previous rooms my husband has sanded the whole paint off again (complete and utter waste of time and money I know!!!). We want to tackle the hall way now and this is a very large area and if it can be avoided we really dont want to sand the whole area, one because of the hassle and two because of the dust as we now have a baby. We have had a couple of painters round to look at the job and provide a quote, they have said that it would not need to be all sanded off just the rough areas would need sanding down. My husband has tried this but it leaves an edge where you have sanded - i.e goes back to the plaster and then when paint is applied it will be thicker over the undercoat (oh so called undercoat!!). One of the painters explained that this would be filled with polyfiller, I laughed at the painter and said you can't put polyfiller on that, it's the thickness of paint. The painter explained that it is a product used similar to polyfiller especially for paint. Do you know what he would have been talking about, i.e the product to use, and is there any particular sanding paper we should be using. I have heard something in the past about wet and dry glass paper, is this any good? Sorry for such a long reply but you have been so helpful to us I cant help but ask you more. Thanks again and we look forward to hearing from you.

If the paint is not adhering well, see if it will come off with a scraper. If so, and you can lift it off, this is a lot less work than sanding it (cleaner too).

Problems problems, the thing about any loose (or slighlty adhered) paint is it may blister once being painted over or 24 hours later or even 2 weeks later etc. Me thinks the best thing to do is scrape loose emulsion. Then apply PVA at a mix of PVA 1/5 WATER and let dry for 72 hours. Then buy two "Decorators caulker 300MM PVC" & Polysmooth Easyskim. Then follow instructions on Polysmooth Easyskim & apply on surfaces with "Decorators caulker 300MM PVC". Then once dry, unfortunatly you need to rub down (with smooth sandpaper, not wet n dry). Then emulsion over. However, this procedure is no guarantee that the previous coatings wont blister. The only way to fix the surfaces for sure is to get a plasterer in & ask him to apply "Thistle Bond-it", then apply two coats of Multi-Finish Plaster.

DO WHAT??????

Never ever put vinyl emulsions, wether watered down or not onto bare plaster.

Leyland Super Leytex is not a High Opacity matt Emulsion, its an obliterating emulsion which is intended for use on bare plaster by brush or roller.

DO WHAT??????

Never ever put vinyl emulsions, wether watered down or not onto bare plaster.

Leyland Super Leytex is not a High Opacity matt Emulsion, its an obliterating emulsion which is intended for use on bare plaster by brush or roller.

Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt.
Sealing new or bare surfaces: Add up to 1 part clean water to 10 parts paint.
Surfaces must be clean and dry before painting.

if i was you id give the effected area a good rub down dust it off use pollyfiler with a filling knife fill the patchy area where the paint have pealed leave to dry lightly sand down dust it again then spot prime it ;)

get yourself a couple of tins of ZINSSERallcoat multi-primer it covers over wood, plaster,plasticol galvanized, and most paintable surfaces fast drying low odour all there products are good ( WILLIAM ZINSSER UK).
YOU SHOULD GET THERE PAINT AT DECOR CENTRES ;) IT DOES what it says on the tin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back