"Square off " extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have a pretty standard 3 bed 1950s semi, which has been extended by previous owners 2.5m across the back of the house, and only above the kitchen area upstairs in an L shape, creating a pointlessly long bathroom. My thinking is that they couldn't afford to also extend the bedroom at the time? I can't imagine that the foundations would be any different, so would there be any reason why we couldn't "Square off" the extension and create a larger bedroom? Would it be cost effective? Where do I start to begin pricing up a job like this?
Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
so would there be any reason why we couldn't "Square off" the

Proximity to boundary/neighbouring house perhaps? Have you had a look at the planning application for the original extension to see what the considerations were at the time, if any?

Good idea to look at the planning info.. I don't see anything in the current legislation that'd prevent it.

Here's a photo. Basically it'd not make much difference to the neighbour as he'd only see what we see now which doesn't block much light or view at all. Pic taken from inside..I'll take one from outside in a bit.

Attachments

• DSC_6151.JPG
    DSC_6151.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
The 45° rule will prevent it, and the dominance of the new pitched roof will have an impact too for planning.

Access to any new room will be an issue for building regulations, making a lot of wasted of space (and money)

Ah ok, I looked it up. That makes sense. It wasn't to create a new room per se for reasons like you suggested... But we would have partitioned off a stairwell to provide proper access to the full height section of the loft which we intend to Convert into a room.. We thought it might be more cost effect to do that than the other option which would be to create a hipped to gable end loft conversion which I believe is pretty pricey..

The 45° rule will prevent it, and the dominance of the new pitched roof will have an impact too for planning.
Wouldn't the 45° rule have been a consideration for the downstairs extension? The windows are in the same place upstairs and down. As for the roof, the current second storey is flat (although looking at planning, ot probably shouldn't be...)

Last edited:
Ground floor extension would be permitted development so council would not have had a say.

Many/most council's won't allow a flat roof at first floor level.

Some councils don't take the 45 degree rules into consideration. And many only take specific parts into consideration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back