Upstairs Floor Supporting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All

I have a 'L' shaped stair case running between the 2 floors of my house.
(To get the idea of the top view, imagine a square divided into 4 smaller squares. Three of these are filled with the staircase)

I would like to extend the upstairs floor over the spare area (ie the 4th small square), but do not want to build a load bearing wall below and of course, can not put any kind of beam across the stairs. (I'm not that short :D ) Would it be OK to use a post that goes though the ground floor to a foundation and is extended up to join the joists of my loft ???? (Positioned right in the middle of the first imaginary square) This would also replace the corner newel post.

(Obviously the upstairs joists would be extended)

Any idea of post thickness would be a great help, if the idea is even legal !!!

Can any bright spark out there think of a better solution ?

Many thanks

The Lazy Slug

Sponsored Links
OK, here goes.

look at your square divided into 4 smaller squares. The bottom right square is filled with stairs. the top left square is filled with stairs running at 90 degrees to bottom right - in other words you stairs turn left.

If I read it right, the top right square is not filled with stairs - it is a quarter landing. (of course it will be round the other way if your stairs turn right)

I can't see how top left can turn immediately left again without another quarter landing - and you don't have any more squares?

If you see what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back