Squatters

Status
Not open for further replies.
For One of my places, I didn’t raise the rent for nearly 12 years. Had great tenants and they were no problem. Long term tenants are generally more profitable than short term, particularly if you factor agency fees, empty months etc.

IMO the AST should not discuss rent increases.

Sponsored Links
Also, a lot of landlords are keeping a box room for themselves with a few clothes and personal items so to rent the rest of the house to "lodgers" who can be kicked out without notice at any time.
I don't blame them.

Sorry to bump this thread from last month but I'm interested in knowing more about this.
Does the landlord actually need the box room or can the property be let with a lodgers agreement without actually having to show evidence of it?

Sorry to bump this thread from last month but I'm interested in knowing more about this.
Does the landlord actually need the box room or can the property be let with a lodgers agreement without actually having to show evidence of it?
No, you need to live in the property to have lodgers and so be able to exercise your right to kick them out without notice.
In practice you advertise the rooms for rent and tell the lodgers that you live there but you work long hours.
Occasionally show up and take a shower, watch tv for an hour and they'll be happy that they don't see you.
But the first wrong move you can tell them to evacuate the property immediately as it is your house.
Also you need to have bills in your name and collect a share from the lodgers.
It's an insurance policy in practice.

I think is more to do with the amendment about bearing arms...
When I briefly worked in Dallas I was warned not to engage in arguments/road rage with strangers because they all carry weapons and they use them...

I'm envious. Fantastic place, but the nightlife is much better in Houston. Though I did get in trouble with the sheriffs after one boozy night in Dallas.

Sponsored Links
Because of my age we rent nowadays. Moved into this place nearly 6 years ago. It belongs to an old gentleman farmer who is a long standing friend of my wife. When we moved in it was a bit of a shambles, (needed decorating, old fashioned style light fittings hanging too low from the ceilings so you had to walk around them or bang your head, garden completely overgrown etc), so we asked if we could do a few bits and pieces. 6 months later he comes around with his grandson who helps him run the business and they thought they had come to the wrong house! The lights had been changed for modern ones, the whole house had been decorated in neutral pastel shades and the garden totally re-vamped but retained a few of the original features and all hedges been trimmed and shaped to manageable sizes. They now give us free range to do what we want, (within reason and we always ask first), and we are still paying the same rent. We treat it like it is our own and they appreciate this. Used to get a 'house check' every 12 months but 2 years ago when I reminded them it was over due they simply said they wouldn't bother as they knew it would be fine. We still look after it so if they do come for one they will be proved right.

Because of my age we rent nowadays. Moved into this place nearly 6 years ago. It belongs to an old gentleman farmer who is a long standing friend of my wife. When we moved in it was a bit of a shambles, (needed decorating, old fashioned style light fittings hanging too low from the ceilings so you had to walk around them or bang your head, garden completely overgrown etc), so we asked if we could do a few bits and pieces. 6 months later he comes around with his grandson who helps him run the business and they thought they had come to the wrong house! The lights had been changed for modern ones, the whole house had been decorated in neutral pastel shades and the garden totally re-vamped but retained a few of the original features and all hedges been trimmed and shaped to manageable sizes. They now give us free range to do what we want, (within reason and we always ask first), and we are still paying the same rent. We treat it like it is our own and they appreciate this. Used to get a 'house check' every 12 months but 2 years ago when I reminded them it was over due they simply said they wouldn't bother as they knew it would be fine. We still look after it so if they do come for one they will be proved right.
If all tenants were like you, rents would be more affordable.
Unfortunately, because of people smashing houses and not paying rent, landlords have resorted to extreme measures and rents have become expensive.

If all tenants were like you, rents would be more affordable.

I'm amused by your foolish suggestion that people in the home rental business don't seek to maximise their profits.

I bet. Y'all could mosey on down to the Mexico border and shoot unarmed desperate women and children - your favourite hobby, tough guy.

RAC - nails.

Yawn! Carry on stalking me, Boyo. Web is full of trolls like you desperate for attention.You're only making yourself look more dumb than normal.

Haven't you got some cement you should be stirring?

People assume if you rent even one property out you must be raking it in.

One of the most switched on people I ever spoke to about how easily profit can be made ... and lost ... with BTLs was a carpet fitter. As he said, x years profit can easily be wiped out if a tenant leaves a property in a state.

Although you can never guarantee who will be a good or bad tenant, I have less sympathy with landlords that try to do everything on the cheap including how they source tenants.

Yawn! Carry on stalking me, Boyo. Web is full of trolls like you desperate for attention.You're only making yourself look more dumb than normal.

Haven't you got some cement you should be stirring?
If I was to use the word 'ironic', never would a word be more appropriately used.

A knowledge that people in the housing business are doing it to make money, is not limited to people with more social awareness than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back