Stainless Steel v's Galvanised

Sponsored Links
Because they are protected by a dpc.

A surveyor not knowing that cement mortar eventually becomes slightly acidic is bizarre, Woody :LOL:

Lintels are not "protected by a DPC"

A cavity tray can go anywhere above an opening and is not there to "protect" a lintel. What planet are you building on? :p

All manufacturers of galvanised lintels stipulate that a dpc should be fitted over the lintel.

This is because the mortar gradually becomes slightly acidic and unless you were playing truant when you were supposed to be doing chemistry, you will know that acids attack zinc.

Sponsored Links
Hang on, we're talking about wall ties! Not lintels!

The poster himself said there is only £2 difference!

Think!

"Remedial Cavity Wall Ties"

Firstly what are they for?
Answer; To replace rusted GALVANIZED wall ties!

Secondly what are the remedial wall ties made from?
Answer; Stainless Steel!

Now the poster was asking galvanized V stainless steel wall ties. Mull it over and work it out for yourself.

If you still want my advice, then I would say, use the galvanized ties, then a few years down the line I can quote you a few grand to replace the rusted ties with bright new stainless steel.

:LOL: :LOL:

All manufacturers of galvanised lintels stipulate that a dpc should be fitted over the lintel.

No, you really are talking nonsense

Are you saying that a galvanised lintel in a solid wall needs a DPC over it?

Or a stainless steel lintel does not need a DPC over it to protect it?

WTF are you talking about? Are you drunk man? :eek: :rolleyes:

Cavity trays are required over openings to stop water draining from the cavity, and that has nothing to do with protecting galvanised lintels

Yes all the hundreds of thousands of houses that have been built with galv ties will need remedial ties. Yes keep taking the pills pred. The £2 is a moot point. The point is its not necessary.

.... few years down the line I can quote you a few grand to replace the rusted ties with bright new stainless steel.

That is the point

What are we using nasty galvanised lintels if, as you say, galvanised ties will rust away "a few years down the line"? Do lintels not rust too?

By "a few years" do you mean more than the 60 odd years that every single post war cavity walled property has been built with galvanised ties? Are these all in need of tie replacement? I have not noticed a major replacement programme

.... few years down the line I can quote you a few grand to replace the rusted ties with bright new stainless steel.

That is the point

What are we using nasty galvanised lintels if, as you say, galvanised ties will rust away "a few years down the line"? Do lintels not rust too?

By "a few years" do you mean more than the 60 odd years that every single post war cavity walled property has been built with galvanised ties? Are these all in need of tie replacement? I have not noticed a major replacement programme

The problem rears its ugly head when you try and get a mortgage on a property with rusted ties.

Yes the ties are probably 60 years old, probably made in England using a decent metal and a good dip in the hot tub, as apposed to the carp you are likely to buy nowadays from B&Q made in China that will self destruct in 6months..

Yes all the hundreds of thousands of houses that have been built with galv ties will need remedial ties. Yes keep taking the pills pred. The £2 is a moot point. The point is its not necessary.

Thanks for that advice, I am going to get straight on the phone tomorrow morning to Bristol Building Regs and give them a piece of my mind, I was told that galvanized ties were no longer fit for purpose over 10 years ago!

You don't mind if I quote you on that do you?

The problem rears its ugly head when you try and get a mortgage on a property with rusted ties.

The same can be said for delaminated roof tiles.

There is no major problem of rusted ties in properties, as you seem to be inferring

The same can be said for delaminated roof tiles.

There is no major problem of rusted ties in properties, as you seem to be inferring

Are you related to Joe90?

The guy asked for advice.

If you want an argument go to the General Discussion forum

Thanks for that advice, I am going to get straight on the phone tomorrow morning to Bristol Building Regs and give them a piece of my mind, I was told that galvanized ties were no longer fit for purpose over 10 years ago!

You don't mind if I quote you on that do you?

You do that LOL

And while you chat to them, quote BS 5628-3:2005 (Code of Practice for Masonry) and BS EN 845-1 (ties)

Galvanised ties can be used

Post back your reply from them :cool:

Correcting bad advice and incorrect statements is not arguing :rolleyes:

However, if you want to debate a point, then first make sure you know what you are talking about first

Correcting bad advice and incorrect statements is not arguing :rolleyes:

However, if you want to debate a point, then first make sure you know what you are talking about first

Have I given bad advice here on spending a whole £2 extra and use stainless steel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back