stairs replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to replace our traditional stairs with a modern look stairs, ideally open plan. Could anyone please guide us in the direction where we can source treads/banisters etc at a reasonable cost?
cheers

Sponsored Links
We are looking to replace our traditional stairs with a modern look stairs, ideally open plan. Could anyone please guide us in the direction where we can source treads/banisters etc at a reasonable cost?
cheers

Can you point to pictures of the kind of thing you have now, and what you want to achieve?

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Sophisticated style: A glass staircase adds statement contemporary glamour and is a great way to create light and space in a home. This ergonomic TRE-474 design by EeStairs features toughened glass cantilevered treads to give the illusion of a floating staircase, with hidden construction ensuring the structure is incredibly strong and durable. Teamed with a brushed stainless-steel handrail, the glass treads are non-slip and feature a diffused surface for privacy from below. Prices for the TRE-474 start at £15,000 (plus VAT), excluding installation. - See more at: http://www.realhomesmagazine.co.uk/...-ideas/staircase-designs#sthash.S6Yp7eki.dpuf

£15,000 plus VAT :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wow £15,000 plus VAT for staircase, you got be nuts to do that.
Now i am sure this the design can achieved by sourcing the parts required from various suppliers which can help to achieve similar result at a reasonable budget. The main parts been treads and glass balustrades.
To start i would like to know where i can get the treads (reengineered wood perhaps) and toughened glass panels?
cheers

You will be able to achieve it for a lot less than £15K maybe around £4-6K. Glass will easily be upwards of about £2K. I would hazard that finding someone to knock it up as a set will be much better than trying to source bits from here and there.

You will be able to achieve it for a lot less than £15K maybe around £4-6K. Glass will easily be upwards of about £2K. I would hazard that finding someone to knock it up as a set will be much better than trying to source bits from here and there.

The staircase in the picture looks like it's supported with steel.

It's a bit hard to get an idea of what is needed, let alone the cost, without seeing what is to be replaced, and what space this staircase is to go into. Is it a free standing staircase like the one pictured, or is it within a stair well? Is it straight or turned? What landings does it have?

Cheers
Richard

Let me clarify something, I am not looking for the staircase presented in the picture, it was just an idea to fulfil the request. My original question was not about the design/quote/cost etc, I was looking for source(s) where I can have discussion about the design and perhaps give them measurement to get a realistic quote.
I am really after a simple design due my limited budget.
I would like to have open plan stair with wood treads. As for the balustrade, I would not mind single glass panel or multiple smaller panels followed by wooden handrail. Like I said I have limited budget and was trying to see if we can get something within our budget or not, surely this simple design, with wood treads, glass panels and wooden handrail would not set me 5K, let alone 15K or would it?

remember your open treads to comply with regs[no gap greater than 99mm]
will need a bar rod or baton to halve the gap so may detract from the vision you are after

Like I said I have limited budget and was trying to see if we can get something within our budget or not, surely this simple design, with wood treads, glass panels and wooden handrail would not set me 5K, let alone 15K or would it?
Once you get into bespoke slick staircase like this the price rockets, its supply and demand, people don't make these kind of components for these kinds of staircase as every staircase is different with different rises, goings, pitch, width, floor-floor etc etc. You may get some treads off the peg but that will be it. Most (as in about 98%) of residential is a traditional timber off the peg stair from one of the popular timber stair manufacturers. If your heart is set on something like this then you'll have to do some googling and get some prices, there are endless people out there who could make this kind of thing but it will be at a cost and if you have a budget of £2K you're dreaming.

You could try some of the traditional firms like Stairplan they do a few quirky models these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back