stairwell and landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be painting my stairwell and landing soon. Ceiling is silk white, already been done (painted all ceilings at once same colour). I have "sandstone" from Q&B colours for the walls (a kind of cream/grey colour).

The skirting will be gloss white, as will all the doors and frames. At the moment all the doors are dark stained wood. This is going to be very tedious. Any tips for getting these stained doors white quickly? I have "one coat" gloss paint (bloody stinks), but I had to use about 4 coats on another similar door elsewhere, as well as 2 coats of undercoat/primer. Would a gloss roller be better to apply than a brush? Would it give a better finish too?

Any advice on painting the stair stringers with carpet in situ? Is this done, or do you always remove the carpet first? Though it doesnt have to be exact, they are already white but not gloss. And the carpet is being replaced after the decorating.

Am I right in thinking silk paint on the walls is a good idea in an enclosed stairwell and landing, because it wont show greasy finger marks as much? I also figure it will reflect more light - the only light is from the upstairs rooms and front door, no upstairs window.

I'm going to invest in a cheap power sander, I dont fancy rubbing all those doors and walls and skirting down by hand!!

Sponsored Links
The skirting will be gloss white, as will all the doors and frames. At the moment all the doors are dark stained wood. This is going to be very tedious. Any tips for getting these stained doors white quickly? I have "one coat" gloss paint (bloody stinks), but I had to use about 4 coats on another similar door elsewhere, as well as 2 coats of undercoat/primer. Would a gloss roller be better to apply than a brush? Would it give a better finish too?

I use this http://www.zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=357 on stained/varnish work. Brilliant ;) . Make sure substrate clean, It says no need to sand but ald habits make me sand lightly with 120/180. fill any cracks etc, then one coat of coverall, one undercoat (dulux acrylic primer undercoat and one coat of dulux high gloss (conventional) T he coverall dries quick, clean up with white spirit.
'ONCE GLOSS' I would usually only use this if the existing paint is sound, and almost white. I was dissapointed to find the once gloss goes yellow v quickly. soo don't use it much.
Always nice without the carpet. If it's up soon, but need to save your toes snagging the gripperods, have you considered cutting the carpet an inch away from skirting? then vac well etc before painting.
Personaly I hardley use a sander, maybe if the wood has been badly painted previously with runs/old bristles and grit etc then I might, but usually get away with p80/ 120

Am I right in thinking silk paint on the walls is a good idea in an enclosed stairwell and landing, because it wont show greasy finger marks as much? I also figure it will reflect more light - the only light is from the upstairs rooms and front door, no upstairs window.
Silk/shiny paints will show any imperfections. I always try to con my customers to have matt :) but soft sheen often goes on as a compromise. good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back