Which White Gloss or Silk Paint?

I think that Gus was trying to highlight the potential issues of using waterbased finishes, of which swelling is my biggest complaint, along with inferior durability and flow.

I tend to recommend off-white oilbased finishes, yellowing will be less obvious. Just my own personal preference.

Thank you for trying to clarify what he was talking about.

Another option (for skirtingboards, etc) is estate eggshell - the F & B one is very tough once cured and being water based, doesn't yellow...it has just a little less of a sheen than satinwood and obv. less than gloss. I quite like it though and it goes on better than some w/b satins.

Sponsored Links
I think that Gus was trying to highlight the potential issues of using waterbased finishes, of which swelling is my biggest complaint, along with inferior durability and flow.

I tend to recommend off-white oilbased finishes, yellowing will be less obvious. Just my own personal preference.

Thank you for trying to clarify what he was talking about.

Another option (for skirtingboards, etc) is estate eggshell - the F & B one is very tough once cured and being water based, doesn't yellow...it has just a little less of a sheen than satinwood and obv. less than gloss. I quite like it though and it goes on better than some w/b satins.

Hi EB

Unfortunately Gus has a style of writing that can be difficiult to follow when sober.

Although I am not a fan of FB or waterbased finishes, I must concede that the first top coat of their eggshell does a fairly good job of reducing the level of suction, i would still however use floetrol in subsequent coats.

The rest of the F&B range? After phoning their THD to complain about unmixed pigment in their emulsion I had someone that had evidently been on some kind of "How to BS your customer the Steve Jobs way" course: She dared to suggest that it was some kind of quaint characteristic and told me that they recommend that the user stirs every tin of their crap for at least 10 minutes. I could have stirred it with a paddle for hours, wouldn't have made any difference.

Sorry end of rant....

BTw eggshell is far easier to use and more forgiving than gloss. TBH I don't understand why the sheds don't push it more. Less than 5% of my customers want gloss finishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back