Starting New Loft project...advice needed throughout!!

Thanks masona!!

I cant get a ladder from the bedroom 2 area outside the bathroom door because of the low lintel that comes across on the blue dotted line. My idea would be to create a new hatch slightly over the stairs where the red box i have drawn is. I only wondered is it good practice to do this...do people mind having to go slightly out over the stairs on a ladder?

It would only be say 1 to 1.5 ft out from the top stair i supppose and about 9 ft up to the hatch?

what do you think? i would prefer this as opposed to having the new hatch in the bedroom!!

Sponsored Links
What about where the back bed is and put the hatch in the corridor of the bathroom? Where the current hatch is and put it opposite on the other side of the blue line?

THanks masona..

the blue dotted line is a solid stone internal wall that splits the 2 bedrooms and comes across the corridor via a stone lintel joining to the outside wall. This wall continues right up to where it meets the roof. The area right of the blue line is the loft..the area to the left is just small none accessable space (refer to my 1st diagram..sorry they arent brilliant! )

I think i should go with a new loft hatch just slightly over the stairs..it would be in a direct line with the top stair and would be a drop down hatch that drops away towards the bottom of the stairs. This way a ladder can rest on the hole framework at the right angle to go straight up and through! hope that made sense!

If any better ideas let me know!

That's fine, are you happy about cutting the joists arrangement in the new hatch position? If not, show a drawing or photo of the layout of the joists then we can tell you the best way for framework opening

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back