Starting out help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Does anyone here know some good sites to learn the basics on becoming a spark?

I know i need to go through the Part P then the city and guilds 2381 then 2391. But i was wondering if you know some site's/forums etc that break things down like ohms law, basic principals of electric, earthing, and general stuff to get started with. Or is anyone here fully qualified and wouldn't mind answering a few questions over MSN or something?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
from what you have said i take it you are not an electrician?

if not you should serve an apenticeship.

Best way to do that is to approach several electrical companies in your area, pay will be not good.

try a search, i seem to think this has been asked before

revolt said:
I know i need to go through the Part P then the city and guilds 2381 then 2391.
AAF.

2381 (and effectively, but not formally) 2391 are what you need in order to register with one of the Competent Persons schemes so that you may self-certify electrical installation work as per the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations.

Part P is not a qualification, and it is not something that you "go through" in terms of training.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
revolt said:
I know i need to go through the Part P then the city and guilds 2381 then 2391.
AAF.

2381 (and effectively, but not formally) 2391 are what you need in order to register with one of the Competent Persons schemes so that you may self-certify electrical installation work as per the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations.

Part P is not a qualification, and it is not something that you "go through" in terms of training.

Yup i know what you mean but i phoned NIC and they say to be able to work on domestic at all i need to do the EAL Level 2 for domestic installations, this will show competence (5 Day training course) then from there move onto the 2381 and then after that the 2391 to be fully qualified

anyhows back to the main questions Does anyone here know some good sites to learn the basics on becoming a spark?
was wondering if you know some site's/forums etc that break things down like ohms law, basic principals of electric, earthing, and general stuff to get started with. Or is anyone here fully qualified and wouldn't mind answering a few questions over MSN or something?

Thanks again for yur replied guys :cool:

so back to my question, i take it you are not an electrician

breezer said:
so back to my question, i take it you are not an electrician

lol sorry forgot to reply breez no i am not thats why im looking for guidance

how old r u? as mentioned, itll prob be best for u to get an apprenticeship

yeah i have that sorted already its the theroy side i wanna do now. I need to study

21 year young

well if you have an aprenticeship "sorted" why are you asking on here about where to learn the theory? thats what aprenticeships are about, they pay to send you to college, not your worry, alll you have to do is turn up and learn

breezer said:
well if you have an aprenticeship "sorted" why are you asking on here about where to learn the theory? thats what aprenticeships are about, they pay to send you to college, not your worry, alll you have to do is turn up and learn

Yes i know. But as i said in the main question

Does anyone here know some good sites to learn the basics

was wondering if you know some site's/forums etc that break things down like ohms law, basic principals of electric, earthing, and general stuff to get started with. Or is anyone here fully qualified and wouldn't mind answering a few questions over MSN or something?

Are you, or are you not, enrolled at a college to study electrics as part of your apprenticeship?

If not, then you aren't going to get very far. If you are, then the college will cover all the things you're asking about. If you're looking to get a head start before the course begins then this is commendable, although beware doing too much - they won't cancel those modules just for you, and you'll end up twiddling your thumbs.

The problem is that it wouldn't be "a few" questions - it'd be dozens, hundreds, and very inefficient for both of you. Have you tried searching the internet?

Yes i am trying to be ready for when i start, trying to learn a little so i can understand better when class's start and i don't look so dim when i don't know what there talking about like earth loop impedance i have no clue i know it must be something to do with all the earths in the sockets/lights switchs etc and the earth circuit but thats it :( So im looking for help with these basic thing's. Stuff also like ohms law guide and how touching a neutral wire will not give you a shock but touching a live will... all these kind of thing's i know that once in class all will be explained but im trying to get some sort of idea before i start so's that i can learn quicker in class and not fall behind and do well in exams

Thanks again for you replys

Revolt,

Good luck, etc, but never ever be afraid to ask questions in class, or anywhere else for that matter. Even if you think others around you are having a snigger, or whatever, I guarantee you wont be the only one utterly confused (if, indeed, you find that you are). Sometimes the very process of forming a question in your mind, and blurting it out, is enough to provide the understanding breakthrough, even before you get an answer.

I speak as someone who has survived >20 years in a technical environment by swallowing any (remaining :cry: ) pride and ASKING. And as someone who recently took a study sabbatical, I know pretty much how the atmosphere in the classroom can be daunting to an enthusiastic learner, especially if some of the others are just going through the motions/waiting for lunch/hungover/etc.

HTH

I'd agree with Careful, keep asking until you understand.
Try the TLC website for starters
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm - if you can follow any of this you are in probably the same level as many people who come here regularly, and at a good 'starting' level - you can then be the one who does very well in class.
Also see the 'sticky for reference' section in this bulletin board - actually if you fancy drawing some stuff up you can even help others once you are a bit further on.

Earth loop impedance is a measure of the current that would flow through a fault to earth, dividing the supply voltage. It is (R1) (live feed resistance)+ R2 (local earth wiring resistance sometimes called cpc resistance) + Rs (a remainder which is the same but for the supply as a whole )
so if Rs = 0.5 ohms, say, R1 was .8 and R2 was 1, then loop impedance would be 2.3 ohms total, and off a supply of 230V (the mains..) a fault current of 100 amps could flow, until the fuse blows. That might be a lighting circuit, for a power circuit the current would be likely higher....
It can either be calculated or measured by a special box that fires a fault current down the earth and measures the size of the step in the voltage difference between live and earth.
M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back