Starting up in fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to start up on my own and would like to start a fencing company. I have had quite abit of expierence putting up fences for friends and neighbours etc and have helped out a few of the local farmers last summer to help them build fences for their livestock.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers as to where to look for work and where the best place to advertise is. I have picked up a few jobs through word of mouth but the work isn't really flowing as i would have hoped.

I plan to do a leaflet/ business card drop in the more affluent areas around me very soon in a hope to gain some work, but as it's only me, this would probably take quite a bit of time to do. I have also ordered some magnetic signs for my pickup which might hopefully get some interest as well. I'm being pestered every day at the moment by the yellow pages for me to advertise with them but does this give very good return of work? I've spoken to a few tradesman about yellow pages and none of them have really had much success advertising in it.

I know that there is plenty of landscapers out there who do fencing as and when it comes there way, but is there a good market for a fencing company alone and apart from domestic work, is it easy to get commercial work too?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Stay far away from YP! Very expensive, ineffective way of advertising and nowadays not even worth the paper its printed on. Just say yes to the free entry in the book, nothing more.

Ask your existing clients if they are willing to recommend you to neighbours, friends etc - a very effective and inexpensive way of creating W-o-M. Hand them some leaflets and business cards for this purpose. And, worth considering as not many do this yet, keep in touch with them. For repair work if needed - storm damage?, but also to keep your name in their minds. A simple letter every 5 or 6 months does it, don't over do it.

What's on your leaflet and business card? Copy-writing is a real skill and when properly done could see a better return than the standard just you (company) name and phone number. Make it interesting.

Are there any local 'directories' around. We advertise in 5 Village directories that are delivered once a month in the surrounding village of the largest town in the area. They contain village news etc so are kept for a whole month. Normally costs less than a YP ad, you can change your ad every month and for us have proven to be very effective.

Sponsored Links
wow!

coincidence or what!

you can practice on my fence, it needs doing, 6 foot by 5 foot panels please and i need about 10 in total, with posts for half (half have posts from old fence)

thanks.

Back