Still no water in hot taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, We have had no water from any of the hot taps all morning. All three sets of taps are mixer taps. 2 upstairs, 1 in kitchen. Have combi boiler, no tank. Tried leaving hot taps open a little, has not worked. Have to confess I am not familiar with plumbing/central heating - my partner always does this, but he is out delivering logs. We live in rural Kent - thick snow on ground and still coming down very hard. Have no idea if there is a connection? I have the central heating on - no problems here.
Cold water fine. Just wondered if any one had any ideas? Many thanks :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I have 2 sets of mixer taps, cold water fine but turn to hot and not a drop!. CH working fine.
Have tried resetting the boiler and switching off at the mains, still no joy. Wonder if anything to do with the very low temperatures we're having?

Hope someone can help us!

Regards
DS

Hello dsinclair999 ,

Just to let you know we now have hot water!!

I left the two taps upstairs slightly open, then lit our open fire to get some more heat into the house. About 3 hours later the boiler started kicking in as it does when we run hot water. Went upstairs and the hot tap was running - with hot water!

Hopefully it was down to a frozen water source into the boiler feed?

Hope this info is of help to you. :D

Sponsored Links
Hi Muggles

My boiler is an Ocean - Style FF

I think it is fairly old, we have lived here for 10 years and the previous people had the boiler installed. It is in the most ludicrous place - believe it or not, the people that fitted the boiler refused to service it as it was not situated in a safe, easy to reach place!!!! They fitted it!! :eek:

Hello,
Me again!! Today we have no hot water and no heating!! At least we have cold water through both taps this time. When we click the boiler on, it doesn't fire up - no big flame showing? Does anyone have any ideas?
The boiler is an OCEAN - Style FF. Not sure how old, maybe 12 years.

If anyone can recommend an engineer, we are outside of Staplehurst, Kent.

It might be a very cold Christmas - indoors and out!!! :confused:

I am no plumber, but I would say it was the feed to your boiler that has frozen.

Our pipes always freeze in the winter as they are in a cold kitchen extension that wasn't built properly. We always have cold water in the kitchen but nothing else as the rest of the taps supply runs through the combi boiler first and this is where they are freezing, that's what it sounds like to me.

Not an Ocean expert, but is there any water pressure indicated on the boiler control panel.

I think these look for over 1bar before they will start up. If it is low you need to open the 'filling loop' and put some water into the radiator circuit. The filling loop is normally a braided short length of tube with either one or two washing machine type valves.

If you have lost water pressure it will be because of a leaky rad somewhere or a failed expansion vessel.

It is definitely a combi - that's the only heater for water/central heating. We don't have a tank or any other form of water heating.
There is plenty of pressure on the gauge and we have also boosted the water pressure.

The flame is not boosting when the switch is clicked on. Plenty of water in the hot tap - BUT, it is freezing cold!!

Thanks for everyone that has left info and comments though - much appreciated.

I will have to try to get an engineer out, but I imagine it might be a tad difficult this week? :rolleyes:

If that is an Alpha Ocean, most likely the diverter gone, know weak point on those.
I know somebody near you, who may be willing to come out. Under the circumstances, it may cost a bit more than normal though.

Hello bengasman

Its definitely an Ocean Style FF - can't see Alpha on the casing.

Hi there,

No worries, thank you for taking the time to look at my message.

Have a Merry Christmas. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back