Stone chippings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a front drive and want some shingle - I like the look of pea shingle but everyone is telling me to avoid it because it attracts cats and spills everywhere.

I have had cotswold chippings recommended, but it is too white.

The question I have is, can I mix these with other darker chippings to get a better look, particularly, will I get an even mix.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its a matter of personal taste but I wouldn't recommend mixing aggregates if you can avoid it as it never looks 'natural'.

For drives then the only thing I would recommend is something called 'South Cerney' gravel. It is commonly used for drives as it doesn't contain flint which normal gravel does (and can cause punctures) but also mainly consists of rounded stones which bond/lock together when under pressure - thus helping to avoid the wheel ruts that you can get with ordinary gravel (it also doesn't when you walk on it in bare feet! :LOL: )

It is normally a dark cream colour. This following link should take you to a picture:

http://www.theaggregateshop.co.uk/products/South-Cerney-10%2d20mm.html

I would however advise you don't buy it from there though as the price they quote is very very expensive. Most of the big builders merchants will get it for you in 850kg bags. My local branch of Jewson supplied the last bag and I think it was £45.

Previously a local aggregates company delivered me 4 tonnes and it was £40 per tonne (delivered in a tipping lorry). Having said that South Cerney is a fairly local gravel to me so a bit easier to source, however for Jewsons it shouldn't be a problem to get it to you anywhere in the country.

Hope that helps

Nick

What ever gravel you select, dont make it more than 2" deep, and put it on a good firm sub base. If the depth is any deeper you will end up struggling to drive / walk on it.

BTW I think pea gravel looks really nice, and is easy to rake level as and when needed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back