Stone circle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dug up my front lawn which is approx 6.3 x 3.5 metres, and i have decided to go for low maintenance with a membrane sheet and 20 mm staffordshire pink gravel, i would like to add a couple of 1.5 metre Dia stone circles but i am not sure if i need any sought of foundation for the stone circles or which membrane i should use.
Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
In a perfect world the circles would be dug out and 100mm of sub-base compacted well and then layed on a 5-1 mix of sand to cement.

Some people would say this is overkill and simply laying the circles on 50mm of mortar is enough.

It's up to you how thoroughly you want to do it. I would advise digging out at least 150mm (6" and put down 2 inches of sub-base and compact it then lay on 50mm of sand and cement.

As for fabric do yourself a favour and go to a builders merchant and buy some landscaping fabric, the woven type which looks like this

http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!B1Kuu)gBmk~$(KGrHqEOKjcE),7RKSzmBMd(TYbPHw~~_35.JPG

It doesn't need to have the lines etc they are all different depeding on the manufacturer but just don't get the matted stuff you get in garden centres as its useless.

For what's worth if i may play with the devils advocaat !!! these stoney, chippingy type front gardens will surely go out of fashion in 5 years or so.... so why not go for mother natures intended way and use plants... raised planters are great... and once established, the right shrub/plant/bloom will flourish, and look great. And of course bring butterflies, bees etc...

Sponsored Links
For what's worth if i may play with the devils advocaat !!! these stoney, chippingy type front gardens will surely go out of fashion in 5 years or so.... so why not go for mother natures intended way and use plants... raised planters are great... and once established, the right shrub/plant/bloom will flourish, and look great. And of course bring butterflies, bees etc...

I would love a nice colourful planted garden but i just don't have the time to look after it as i work away from home a lot and don't want to spend the time i do have at home working in the garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back