Stop Cock - Flap outside house help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems my internal stop cock has been covered by the front door with laminate. I asked the next door neighbours and it seems the stop cock is under a wooden flap.

Rather than cutting an area out of the laminate so I can gain access, I checked the valve on the pavement with a hope that I could quickly turn it off and pull out my cloakroom sink to stick some isolating valves on.

On inspection the top of the valve is arms lengths down which seems to have a plastic cap which turns easily about 300 degrees clock/counter clockwise and has 2 raised notches on the top. I would guess this just some sort of cover and the main gubbins are underneath.

Can someone give me some sort of insight.

Sponsored Links
Does it not shut the water off when you turn it? Or are you fiddling with the neighbour's one?! :eek:

Is there not a key in the hole with it?

I think it turns far too easy to be a tap. It is more like a cover that hides the tap, it's really light weight plastic, but it seems like it doesn't unclip to easily and I don't want to force it too much.

bobbyrabbit said:
I think it turns far too easy to be a tap. It is more like a cover that hides the tap, it's really light weight plastic, but it seems like it doesn't unclip to easily and I don't want to force it too much.

Well I would turn on your kitchen sink cold tap and then go and turn that plastic valve until it comes to a stop and see if it stops your tap-some of the new outside stopvalves are made of plastic and some turn very easily.

Sponsored Links
It pushes round as easily as an open jam jar lid!! One finger.

I'm not at the house at the mo, I'll check later. I'm now worried that I've turned it off. If that is the solution great, seems almost too simple.

How big is the plastic cap you are talking about? If it is about 30-40mm across it could be a turnable valve-if it it 75-100mm ish then chances are it is some kind of cover-its not a fire hydrant cover you've looked under is it?

Just gave the top of the plastic cap a good wipe. Underneath the clear plastic looked like a meter with a 6 digit analogue readout. No sign of a tap though.

There's usually a small turnable valve just next to the water meter under the same cover which will turn your suply off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back