Stop-cock help required !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ! Just wondered if anyone can advise me about my stop-cock please? My problem is this:- Firstly my stop-cock from being fully open to completely closed is quarter of a turn,is that right? Secondly the reason i am asking this is because the water pressure seems to be too low throughout the house (especially upstairs) because when i use the shower (which is heated through the combi boiler)it starts off nice and hot and then turns freezing cold and then goes really hot! i have tryed putting WD40 on the stop-cock and turning it off and on again but it seems it doesnt wanna open any further! When i say the water pressure is low i mean i cant use the hose pipe to water the garden and cant use my karcher pressure washer to do the car ! Any help would be much appreciated ! Thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
can you slacken the gland nut off ? at the base of the spindle.
that may help it free better if not if you can get access just change it.

I ain't tryed to slacken the gland nut off due to me being a novice when it comes to plumbing :oops: Would you say it was stuck then in your opinion with only getting quarter of a turn on it ? cheers

Sponsored Links
Is it safe to try and slacken the gland nut off because i wouldnt want to flood the joint :D Do i do this with the stop-cock closed and how much to i slacken it? Sorry if these are numptyish questions !

it probably won't move.
try just freeing it half a turn then see if the stopcock will close/open any better.

i would say its beyond repair.

Cheers for your reply i shall give it a go tomorrow ! Can you tell me if this piture works what you think the incoming pipe size is please ?

22082009392.jpg

1/2"-15mm

if you can isolate the mains external then you can strip it right down and free it.

the top pipe don't look to straight coming out of the stopcock.

Would it be better to change it for a new one or just strip it down like you said? I do agree with you on the pipe not looking straight,i noticed that aswell.

personally i would change. if you can get to it that easy to take a pic.

you'll probably have a bit of pipework to alter aswell.
as in the nuts won't fit the new one and the pipe to short.
and refit a draincock above the new stopcock.

i always say with old stopcocks if they've played up once they'll play up again when you need it most.

Cheers for your reply i shall give it a go tomorrow ! Can you tell me if this piture works what you think the incoming pipe size is please ?

22082009392.jpg
Incoming IS half inch soft copper outgoing is half inch copper. Those nuts on the stopcock are the old Fine Thread Prestex type. If I was doing the job I would get that apart and re washer it. Aldo sort out the top/outgoing pipe someone :oops: has been at it - you don`t wrap ptfe tape there :rolleyes: . Leave that bottom connector to the soft copper alone. Exellent idea posting a picture- no one exept a psychic would`ve known about that soft copper otherwise ;)

Hee Hee i was the numpty who put the PTFE Tape on it :oops: The reason being when i went to turn the stop-cock to the closed position to able me to remove sink etc to get ready for installing my new kitchen,the copper pipe (PTFE side)just came off and filled my kitchen with gallons and gallons of water hee hee! I didnt want it to happen again (bit of panic on my part to be honest)until i could sort it out! Got to be honest though looking back on it it was quite funny trying to turn off a jammed stop-cock with mains pressure water whacking me in the face (freezing cold too) whilst struggling for room with half my body in the kitchen unit !!! Hee Hee

No, the real Numpty was the one who installed it in the first place so it fell apart when you touched it. :eek: Psychic Nige says it was done in the 60`s ;)

Curses, I`ve just put my reading glasses on :oops: . Perhaps i need:cool: and a stick :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back