Stop foul water from coming back in ground level WC

Sponsored Links
Another thought occurrs.... If gutter downpipes run into the foul drains (as they are occasionally permitted to do), it may be the local system is getting overwhelmed.... Again a job for environmental health.

My downpipes all run into water tanks, as each time we have heavy rain (the majority of the time) the surface water drainage overflows, causing me loads of problems. So, I harvest all the rainwater for use in the garden, this saves me a messy clean-up operation after every downpour. I think it is about time to call environmental health in about this, I did not realise I could involve them - although it does make perfect sense.

Is a water company involved somewhere in all this ? Look on your water bill and you will find a sewerage charge. At the very least they should help you diagnose the problem for free.

Sponsored Links
The water company involved is Yorkshire Water, they say there drains are flowing correctly - the problem is by the time they come out to look at the problem it's not raining, so the drains are working fine. They have been more helpful than the council, who just ignore you!! The water company have stated that if their drains are flowing correctly the problem has to be with our drains - although all drains work perfectly in fine weather!!

Surely, if the drains are looked after by Yorkshire Water, what's it to do with the local council, then ? I thought you Yorkshire folk went straight to the point !!

You need to check the manhole when the problem occurs and photograph it and chase Yorkshire Water.
They may have been polite and helpful but they havn't even addressed the problem ! Their drains are NOT flowing correctly - you are getting some sort of backing up and there are no "other" drains.

It was Yorkshire water who originally told me I should contact the council, they said it was the councils job to clean the drains?? It sounds like they were obviously just passing the buck, I will definitely take your advice, take photographs and really go for the jugular with Yorkshire Water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back