Stop foul water from coming back in ground level WC

When we have very heavy rain the water in the toilet starts moving up and down as if it is being sucked back and forth, eventually the toilet bowl ends up full of dirty water. We then cannot flush the toilet until the levels have gone down.

I don't know if there is any type of vent on the system, how would I go about installing a vent of some nature? There isn't a soil pipe on the outside wall, just in the floor slightly behind the toilet - I am referring to the brown pipe as a soil pipe.

Still a valid idea breezer!!

Lianne

Sponsored Links
May be best to have someone to come out and inspect your drains, maybe put a camera down or see if you need a vent.

Can't help you anymore sorry :(

Hi

Are you saying that if you walk around your bungalow there is no pipe running from ground level ,up and over your gutter, anywhere?

Are you on mains drainage or septic?

Thanet.

Sponsored Links
Hi Thanet,

Yes, that is correct, there isn't a pipe anywhere that runs over the gutter. We are definitely on mains drainage.

Lianne

Hi

Should also have asked if there is one internally boxed in that would appear on the roof somewhere.
It would seem that the drains can't cope with heavy use, so the suggestion to have a cctv inspection would be good advice.
The air admittance valve won't work as you don't have anywhere to fit it.

Thanet

breezer said:
see, i said i wasnt a plumber :oops:
Then get off the plumbing forum - you've made four posts containing utter b*llocks!

LianneB1, if rainwater is finding its way into the foul drainage then you have two problems:-

1. The rainwater is finding its way in.
2. The rainwater isn't able to drain away.

If the WC flushes acceptably then I don't see how any venting arrangement (either in or out) can make the blindest bit of difference.

However, this is clearly an odd situation and there may be more to this that meets the eye (or nose).

@ LianneB1: why did you use drain rods - was there a blockage?

There isn't any boxed in pipework.

I live in an area that when it rains heavy none of the drainage can cope!! The surface water drains fill in a very short time and take ages to go down - I have rang the council on numerous occasions about this and they just ignore it!! Also, during heavy rain the foul water drains end up full, although these go back to normal fairly quick - thank goodness. But, it is during this time the toilet starts make 'glugging' noises and then the water level rises, almost to overflowing, in the toilet bowel. During normal weather the toilet works fine - this is the only reason I had not bothered with a CCTV survey.

The reason for the drain rods: When I flushed the toilet the water level came up and then drained slowly to either its normal level or below.

Thanks for the info so far.

Lianne

LianneB1 said:
I live in an area that when it rains heavy none of the drainage can cope!! The surface water drains fill in a very short time and take ages to go down - I have rang the council on numerous occasions about this and they just ignore it!
This isn't my area of expertise, but intuitively there's something very wrong about this.

It's an Environmental Health issue, and there could be a collapse in a section public sewer, so I would expect that if you write to the council and asked for someone to diagnose the problem with the sewer then some action would result.

How many dwellings are affected by the problem?

At last somesones read the promlem and put the brain in gear.

Top marks Softus even if I'll never live it down :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are only four houses in the area, two of which are bungalows and both bungalows have a problem with the drainage; the other bungalow was only built about ten years ago and does have a vent pipe, but, they still have a problem with their foul water drains becoming easily blocked etc. I think that is why the council don't really care, if there was a lot of people / properties affected they may have been bothered.

On one occasion the council stated the problem was with my drains - how do they know if they have not done a survey on them - do you think it would be advisable to have a CCTV survey done to prove that my drains are not the problem? I will definitely write to them instead, as I said I have telephoned on numerous occasions and also filled out their on-line forms to report a problem, but, so far they just ignore the problem.

Thank-you for your advice.

Lianne

Lift inspection chamber lid, preferably during a down pour, and observe any water backing-up from up stream.

Yep its that easy to check.

A point of order from the first post.

Most bungerlows have the WC on the ground floor :evil:

Good observation on the bungalow (':LOL:')

If the chamber (I am assuming this is under the man-hole cover in my garden), has water backing up what does that indicate? Sorry if that seems a really daft question, but I want to make sure I have things clear in my head - well as clear as they can ever be!!

Thanks again, Lianne

LianneB1 said:
Good observation on the bungalow (':LOL:')

If the chamber (I am assuming this is under the man-hole cover in my garden), has water backing up what does that indicate? Sorry if that seems a really daft question, but I want to make sure I have things clear in my head - well as clear as they can ever be!!

Thanks again, Lianne

It means you have a problem with the main drain and it isn't taking the water away quick enough.

Job for the Council once you have proved it, environmental health will get some action if the suits don't listen :LOL:

That's brilliant, thanks again, I am now armed with enough info to, hopefully, get them investigating the problem. If not I will contact environmental health.

Thanks again for all your help / info.

Lianne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back