Stop/Reset switch for pump question........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people need help basically with a stop / reset switch that im going to wire up in my father in laws garage to feed a water pump its the correct rated contactor to do the job its a Danfoss CIM 12a reset / stop button which was doing the same job somewhere else but unfortunately when they disconnected it they didnt note any connections down so now im left with this theres no circuit diagrams with it either and no information on the side which is of any relevant use for wiring it and basically contactors are a alien to me ive supplied pics of just hoping someone can point me in the right direction the links have been left in tho from its previous use ..........Oh and the water pump is a single phase pump just want this to drive it

The photo on the right shows the top left terminal saying 264 v 60 hz and the top right says 220v 50 hz and you can see how these were linked quite confusing really

cheers hope someone can help

[/img]

Sponsored Links
The terminals you speak of are for the contactor coil. What causes the pump to start (contactor to energize) and stop (contactor de-energize)?
I take it these are the only 2 terminals for the coil?

cheers for your response spark123 erm forgive me for sounding like a complete novice but I dont understand completely if they are the only 2 terminals for the coil or not I understand how the contactor works but ive never wired one ever and on the side of it it doesnt say which terminals are for the coil ........I just need to know what terminals to wire by incoming feed to and supply load to, obviously the earths to the earth tab but these links which were in there to begin with have confused me should I remove them ?
thanks again for yer help im a qualified spark but as I said never done anything with contactors in my short career so far and really want to understand this side of electrics and improve myself as its also a very important side of our works .....

The terminals you speak of are for the contactor coil. What causes the pump to start (contactor to energize) and stop (contactor de-energize)??

If you could answer Spark123's question it would be a big help. Are there push button switches on the front of the contactor (i.e. it's a DOL starter) or was it switched remotely?

Sponsored Links
Oh ok sorry it just has one red stop/reset button on the front i havnt been round to the garage yet to have a butchers he dropped this into me yesterday I just rang him now hes using it for a pump to pump water into his garage as hes a mechanic im presuming itd be on continuously until he puts the stop button in ....Hope this is enough info for ya and your helps much appreciated

Is the stop button latching? I don't like the idea of this being the only control over the pump tbh.

just curious.

does your dad have a really big pump then? I am just wondering why it needs a contactor (unless he wants several stop buttons around the place)

This is the switch he supplied me says hes happy for it its only his garage out the back of the house would you say a start stop button would be better ? The pumps only a small enough pump he says I havnt checked the ampage of it yet .........All your comments are great im not entirely sure myself if this is best but lets just say he has short arms and long pockets in the spending department so wants to get away using this and me being the future son in law I want to be able to do the job so can I use this or not ? The stop button is one yes that latches do u mean stays in by that ?

i take it this is a normal houshold garage?

why cant he just plug in the pump as and when?

No its a big garage seperate from the house hes a mechanic does his own jobs at home the pump is down at the river about 20 feet from the garage and the pump will pump water into his garage he lives in the country so wants something permanent there .....I will be having a good look at this just want to understand the wiring of this stop button before I go take a look ......So can anyone help with this aspect thanks again

still cant see why he doesnt plug it in.

Taking water from a river you also need a licence if it is over a certain amount (sorry dont know what it is)

a contactor needs a supply. when the supply is started it pulls in some contacts (funny that) one set of contacts (or two) supplies what ever (pump in your case) the other set override what it was to start it in the first place.

to stop it a stop switch(or more than one) is wired in series with the supply to the coil

View media item 1645
sorry the sketch is a bit rough, but thats how its done.

obvioulsy i have left out fuses earth etc.

still dont see the point

i will leave you to guess which is start and which is stop

cheers Breezer looking at my pictures where would u say to wire then i.e the feed coming in going out

i wouldnt. sorry but your pictures speak a lot but say nothing.

i would be inclined to get a meter out and find the coil then and then take it from there (you only want a minimum of two pairs of contacts that go closed when coli energised)

still cant see why he doesnt plug it in.

i will leave you to guess which is start and which is stop

The stop button should be the very first item in series in the control circuit, for safety reasons.

Regards

cheers for all your help dont worry ill be seeing exactly hwat needs to be done and if he can get away with just an isolator maybe instead as like you I dont see the point but thanks for your input much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back