1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Stopcock jammed closed

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by RobertH, 17 Nov 2009.

1. RobertH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    I have a 3/4" stopcock which operates with a lever which you turn through a quarter turn to close it - I don't know if you have this type in the UK, I am in France. I closed the stopcock to do some work on the pipes and now I have come to turn the water back on again, the lever will not move. It has only been closed for 24 hours so cannot possibly be jammed with limescale or corrosion. Any suggestions please?

2. bertrum09

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    either loosen the nut on the valve or use some oil or a type of lubricant to try and loosen it.

3. bellairaphon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    can you realease the top connection and look into the valve? sometimes the ballvalve inside can shear away from the handle and jam it shut. do you have an outside main isolation valve for your house?

Nathan

4. RobertH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tried putting penetrating oil down the spindle, made no difference. Removed pipe from outlet but could see nothing wrong inside. I have now replaced the stopcock, this was inside the house and I was able to shut off the water outside the house.
    Thanks for your comments.