stopped gas pipe behind woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm planning to install a woodburner stove very close (about 500mm offset) to the site of an old gas fire. (I'll be putting in a complete new twin wall internal flue according to building regulations)

My issue is that there is a gas pipe (unused but live) exiting the wall behind the site for the stove. This is an iron elbow which I have stopped off with an iron 1/2" end stop.

Prob is that although the building regs have strict requirements about the distance between a stove or a flue to flammable materials, they have nothing about gas pipes in those situations. I'm unconcerned about the stopped pipe per se, but the iron end stop is sealed to the iron pipe with PTFE gas tape. (OK, so PTFE is moderately heat tolerant). However, is there an issue with this? There is nothing in the building regulations part J "combustion" which remotely touches it. Do I ignore the problem and accept I'll have a hot stopped gas pipe end behind my stove?

The pipe is installed inside the wall (or perhaps the concrete floor beneath) and there is no access to it other than right behind where I need to put the wood stove.

What to do?

Sponsored Links
The wall behind the wood burning stove obviously gets quite hot, even to hot to touch. With all this heat, the gas pipe might expand and contract. Is this a good thing? I wouldn't have thought so. A gas pipe should also be sleeved through a wall, as any movement of the wall could split the pipe, causing a dangerous leak.

The best and only safe route to take, in my opinion, is to trace the supply and cap it off, well away from the wood burning stove. Peace of mind, it's not a good idea to have live gas pipes around the house that are not being used for purpose/obsolete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back