Storage problem - fixing rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

Can you help a complete DIY novice by giving some much needed advice?

I live in an apartment and I am desperately short of storage space. In the hallway there is quite a large alcove located next to the front door. The alcove is approximately 1750mm deep by 925mm wide. I want to use this area for storage, in particular for hanging coats and other items of clothing. My plan is to fix two rails towards the rear of the alcove, one at head height and the other at waste height.

The issue I have is about fixing the rails into the walls. One of the walls (adjacent the front door) is a concrete block wall while the other wall (a partition wall between the alcove and the bathroom) is a metal stud partition. My questions are as follows:

1) How do I fix into the metal stud partition? Do I need to drill into a metal studs and fix into that or can I just fix into the plasterboard? Will the plasterboard provide a good enough fix for the rail? What type of screws should I be using for each option.

2) When fixing into the concrete block wall what type / length of screws should I use?

Advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Jonny

Sponsored Links
The fixings normally take only small diameter screws, might be easier to run a narrow strip of 18mm mdf [or a baton] up wall on both sides, fix this with plasterboard fixings to the board wall and plug and screw [50mm screws] to brick/blockwork.This will spread the load down to the floor and prevent damage to the plasterboard side.Then fix pole fixings with short 20mm screws to mdf/baton.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back