Stove isnt drawing properly since chimney was lined-help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My stove is not drawing properly since they did my chimney. I used to be able to close-down my (Jotul) stove when I went to bed and it would still be burning when I got up in the morning and I could have a roaring fire in 2 minutes. On occassions when weather conditions and wood was right I could close it down at midnight and the same log would still be going at 5pm the next afteroon.

The chimney has recently been lined with vermiculite/perlite and the diameter all the way up to the chimney stack is now about 6" maximum (whereas before I had a 3ft length of pipe into a registry board at the bottom of the 4ft x 2ft wide and diminishing chimney stack). When I close -down the stove now it goes out after a while. Ive already been told that this diameter of 6" is not enough if I want to install a regular fireplace.

Can anyone point me in the direction of British rules and regulations etc., about this.

Sponsored Links
Can you not speak to the guys who did your lining?

Explain that you are worried that all the products of combustion are not leaving the building. :(

You should not be closing down a wood stove unless all that is left is a bed of charcoal.

If you close it down with a load of wood in, it will smolder all night and in doing so it will be putting smoke up the chimney. This smoke is vaporized tar, which will condense as it gets cooler on its way up the chimney. It is a waste of fuel, and potentially dangerous.

If your stove now goes out when you close it down, then open it up a bit. If there is other than charcoal in the firebox, ie wood, then there should be flames in the box.

You are correct in saying 6" is not enough for a normal fireplace, but you have a stove not a fireplace. If you change it to a fireplace, then it has to be notified to building control, just as your chimney lining should have been.

The requirements for the stove flue will be in the manufacturers instructions, any additional information should be available from Hetas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back