Straightening a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Newbie to the forums, was needing some advice on an off plumb wall. How would I go about straightening the wall on the left hand side of the alcove. Bearing in mind this will be housing a wood burning stove so may get hot. I want the wall straight before I use slate tiles to clad it in. Would I keep adding thicknesses of render until it was straight. What ratio would the render be?

Sponsored Links
There's a whole rake of posts on here from recent months, and historically, that you might Search for info on fitting your stove into a flue and fire opening.

What are the fitting dimensions in the stove Mfr's Instructions? Its no use plumbing walls etc that might have to be altered later?

You appear to have a board in the opening lintel position? All wood must be removed from the c/breast.

The view from the windows is terrific.

Cheers for the reply. I have checked all the sizes and how far combustible material should be away from the stove etc. just looking for advice on the wall. Ps you should see the view out the front window. ;)

Sponsored Links
I see that view every morning.
That's the benefit off living in the sticks.

A contemporary stove would look best there and just close the hole up.

Scratch coat of 2:1 sand and cement (or lime if its on site) on a wire brushed background.
Then bring it out in two or three tapering coats of 10mm or so.
Scratch each coat and allow to dry before applying the next.

When its plumb and say setting for 30 mins, then run it up in circular motions with a block of wood - then leave it alone for the final coat to dry for a couple of days before fixing the slate.

Cheers for that advice ree.

You read my mind norcon. It is a contemporary stove. We are fitting a vesta v6. And no, before you ask, it's not a souped up scooter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back