strange fishy smell

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
oooooo.. new word... "Ampacity"... which I take it form the general content of that article to mean "Current carrying capacity" of the cable?

must use that more often.. good shorthand..

Thanks for the help all!! I found it!! We have a globe shaped glass covering for a light fixture in the hall. I took it off and found mold in the insulation that sits just above the bulbs!! It smelled horrible! Hubby cleaned it up so we'll see tom.

it's very unusual to find mould inside a light fitting, as the heat of the lamp usually keeps them hot and dry.

Is there any chance a nearby water leak could have got into it?

you might also consider an Energy Saving lamp to replace the old bulb, these run a lot cooler and use less electricity. This is just in case the mould was insulating the lamp fitting and it was getting too hot.

it's very unusual to find mould inside a light fitting, as the heat of the lamp usually keeps them hot and dry.

Is there any chance a nearby water leak could have got into it?

you might also consider an Energy Saving lamp to replace the old bulb, these run a lot cooler and use less electricity. This is just in case the mould was insulating the lamp fitting and it was getting too hot.

Hubby thinks that it is because our return vent for the central heat and air is in that hallway. He thinks it is causing humidity probs. Daddy says we may have a drippy line from air in the attic. Have to get up there and inspect.

maybe leave the globe off for ventilation

if there is a cold air supply for the air con, it will tend to get condensation unless it is sealed in ilsulation with no gaps.

I've had this happen to me twice before, very fishy smell, first time was from a double pole switch in the bathroom and the second from the white box with the meter in outside on the wall, the sweb boys came and put in a new digital meter and changed the leads.

Personally I would have let your comment slide Joe but you obviously struck a cord with Mod 11.
Please note rule 1 (Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.) - See here for the forum rules.
-
there's nothing to be gained by being unpleasant

God helps those that help themselves. :LOL:

This was all posted 2 or 4 years ago. It's seasonal thing. She'll post again in 2012.

The smell is gone today. Thank you to all of you who were so helpful. I would like to note that I have not posted this problem before. Yesterday was the first time I ever joined any forum. It is so nice that you can reach out to others who may have helpful suggestions. It is also a shame that people also sign on looking for a fight. I personally have better things to do with my time so I will not be using this forum again.

Sponsored Links
Back