Strange wood burner problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Had a wood burner that has been working fine for years. Today I lit it and smoke just blew into the room. Put it out and could feel a noticeable draft coming down the chimney with the door open. Put my thinking cap on and the only thing different was the loft door was open as had been reorganising crap in there during the day. Sure enough closed the loft door lit the fire and everything back to normal.

Any ideas? As it's confused the hell out of me!

Sponsored Links
Does the roof have felt underneath the slates/tiles? Sounds to me that the air flow isn't supporting the fire

Felt under the tiles. 90's built house. Loft never smells of smoke. Chimney is "external" IE built onto the side of the house and doesn't actually enter the loft.

It is likely down to the 'stack effect' - warm air rising up through the building and into the loft (and subsequently out through the roof). This causes negative pressure on the ground floor hence the sucking of air through your wood burner.

Sponsored Links
As MJN says! If you open the burner door and its cold inside then the chimney is not drawing air. Crack a window open in the same room and it should warm up inside the burner to show air is being drawn up the chimney and not down... It can happen if you have a powerful bathroom / kitchen extractor...

This is the oposite of the problem I have been having with my stove.

In my case, especially during the very cold weather my (external) chimney was suckihg freezing cold air into the house. When I tried to light it smoke poured into the room. It took ages to warm the stove sufficiently to reverse the flow.

Our 1914 house is very leaky and my theory is that hot air leaking out of the upper storey is pulling in cold air, partly down the chimney

I warmed the flue with a hot air gun and opened a window downstairs to reduce the chimney downdraft. These actions, plus upping the quantity of kindling seems to have stopped us becoming kippers.

I would guess that your problem is the same, but only temporary when hot air is rushing into the loft!

Regards

Tet

Maybe this:

Thanks all. Makes perfect sense now. Draft up the open loft door was greater then the draft up the chimney so was sucking air from where ever it could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back