Strimmer that lasts ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am now on my third strimmer in almost as many years all electric.
Is there a machine on the market that will last AND also not keep breaking the line every minute.

Sponsored Links
If you can stretch to a petrol strimmer, I have a Robin two stroke that I've had for well over 20 years. It hasn't given a moments trouble and I've used it a lot.

Sponsored Links
They're right about the stihl, if it's just for your garden, doing the edges etc, then the fs40 or 50 will come at just over £150.

If for trade use then worth spending out for a more expensive model or the stihl combi head, which will take all the usual attachments.

Tanaka or Efco are also decent if you can get 'em at the right price, have a look round for second hand models.

You mentioned line breakage, if it on nettles and weeds then you'll be better with the plastic blades or metal brushcutting blade. (dangerous buggers though and not good around stones/cars)

The line is breaking because you are not useing the strimmer properly !
do not go full charge at the bottom of what you are strimming if its long take it of the top first then move down ,

DIY strimmer line?

I'm fed up with the 2mm yellow plastic stuff snapping, the blade to trim it is missing from the guard as well..
so I'm going to but a brake cable from halfords and put that through the holes and cut it to length..

that shouldn't break should it..

sparks off the concrete fence posts are expencted though.. :)

can you take some photos of your injuries please? Strimmer lines are designed to break when hitting obstructions as a safety precaution. A strimmer can launch stones etc up to 50 metres quite easily. Having said that the stuff on cheap strimmers is ****e and underrated, probably delibertaly so you buy more of it

how much worse can a steel wire line be that a tri-pointed solid steel cutting head?
at least it will bend out if the way if it's too heavy to move it.

how much worse can a steel wire line be that a tri-pointed solid steel cutting head?
Suppose you could remove the protective cover from an old circular saw and put that on the end of a stick :idea:

because they're designed for a proffessional machine, where someone should have been trained to use it. Just value your health col jack

profesional machine?
any idiot can buy one from B&Q with no proof of training needed or even any warning regarding use of leather gators, face shield, steel toe boots ear defenders and safetly glasses..

profesional machine?
any idiot can buy one from B&Q with no proof of training needed or even any warning regarding use of leather gators, face shield, steel toe boots ear defenders and safetly glasses..

as i said they were designed for professional machines, but any idiot can buy them from b and q, just like chainsaws. doesnt mean its right or safe.
col i gave some advice to a guy on here about a stump grinder a few years ago. he tried to find a cheaper way of doing it and isnt around anymore. dont do it mate ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back