Strip lights go out when I turn on the saw

Sponsored Links
For a resistive load P=I²R=V²/R Where P is average power, V is RMS voltage and I is rms current. This is what makes RMS voltages and currents interesting and applies regardless of whether the waveform is a sinewave or not.

Of course peak voltage is important too, that is why you got "modified sinewave" inverters which switched on for only part of the cycle so that the ratio of peak voltage to rms voltage was the same as for a sinewave without all the complexity of generating a real sinewave.

For a resistive load P=I²R=V²/R Where P is average power, V is RMS voltage and I is rms current. This is what makes RMS voltages and currents interesting and applies regardless of whether the waveform is a sinewave or not.
Exactly. As I wrote:
We don't use RMS just for the hell of it - and,in some senses,it is even more valuable for non-sinusoidal waveforms (since there is a simple arithmetic relationship between RMS and mean for a sine wave). ... RMS current multiplied by RMS voltage will always give true power, regardless of waveform, whereas the same is not true of any other sort of average (such as the mean).
As you point out, I should have added that I was talking about resistive loads.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As you point out, I should have added that I was talking about resistive loads.
Indeed, if instantaneous current is not proportional to instantaneous voltage then the RMS current times the RMS voltage will no longer be equal to the mean power.

Get the electrician back, the cable supplying your workshop is undersized.

He won't be happy ! :(

Get the electrician back, the cable supplying your workshop is undersized.
That may or may not be true - but, if you read the whole thread, you'll see that the extremely low apparent voltages seem to exist throughout the OP's house - not just in the workshop.

Kind Regards, John

Well, if that's the case,the electrician should have notified the DNO.

Kind regards,

lxboy :D

Well, if that's the case,the electrician should have notified the DNO.
If the electrician who wired the extension did any testing at the time, presumably (s)he would have picked up very low voltages (had they been present at the time) and, as you say, reported it to the DNO. So, either the electrician did no testing (the OP seems to have disappeared, so we can't ask him about documentation) or else the low voltage situation has arisen since then. Whatever, as you will have seen, the OP was advised to contact his DNO.

Kind Regards, John

I'm still tuned in to this thread and check back every so often but it went a little off topic but I didn't want to stifle the chat people seemed to be enjoying! My electrician and I did chat about the low volts but it was/is only ever intermittent. I have reported it to UK Power Networks who of course promise to respond within 24hours... 3 days encounting!

Nozzle

I'm still tuned in to this thread and check back every so often but it went a little off topic but I didn't want to stifle the chat people seemed to be enjoying! My electrician and I did chat about the low volts but it was/is only ever intermittent. I have reported it to UK Power Networks who of course promise to respond within 24hours... 3 days encounting!
Fair enough. I think the 'enjoyable' (for some!) off-topic bits have probably reached their logical conclusion. If the supply to your house is intermittently anything like as low in voltage as you were indicating, the DNO certainly need to look into it. I'm surprised you haven't seen them yet - in my, albeit limited, experience, DNOs seem to be very quick in such circumstances (often within hours!).

Kind Regards, John

Just out of interest do any of your neighbours experience the same problems - are you last in line from the overhead power line?

From their Website

EGS 5

Supply voltage (Regulation 15)

If you inform us that the electricity to your
property is outside the permitted voltage
range, we will contact you and arrange a visit
to your property within seven working days,
or, if a visit is not necessary, we will provide
a written response within five working days.
If we fail these timescales we will arrange
for you to receive £22.

£22? What a bizarrely arbitrary figure... :confused: I wonder how they arrived at that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back