Stripping meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upgrading tails between DP isolator and CU. Want to use 25mm tails to match the rest of the setup (existing tails are 16mm). What is the correct method for stripping the cable? Should some of the brown/blue inner insulation be made visible atthe CU end, isolator end or both ends? Thanks in advance, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Same as any other sheathed cable, outer sheath to stop shortly after entering enclosure, insulation to carry on right upto just before the termination

not your teeth.

Insulation should not be visible (the sheathing should continue into the enclosure, same as for JBs etc)

You can put rings of coloured vinyl tape round the tails to identify them.

edited: bah!

Not sure if there's a reg about this...

I always strip back enough of the grey sheath (with a stanley) so that the blue / brown inner sheath can clearly be indentified without the need to use a tool at the DNO / head end.

At the CU I strip back 2-3" of the grey sheath, this does 2 things- It allows instant visual ID of tail and helps with the MBR / min bending radi should the tails need to bend at 180 deg (such as tail route feed under the CU, rather than down to the CU.

Sponsored Links
Am I wrong and if so could some quote why?

Double sheathed tails, so my logic was always that the outer should be removed to ID cable use and secondary sheath colour.

Have I caused a fail if sites are inspected and the coloured sheath is 1" outside the demarcation between DNO supply and customer side?

im not a spark, but i always assumed everything should be double insulated so i would go along with the outer entering the enclosure. red tie wraps strike me as a good way to make cables identifiable.

sm1thson said:
im not a spark, but i always assumed everything should be double insulated so i would go along with the outer entering the enclosure. red tie wraps strike me as a good way to make cables identifiable.

The correct term is double sheathed as, I'm sure you know, double insulated refers to equipment not requiring an earth.
Red ties would not be good as an identifier now as the colours have changed.Brown and Blue would be the correct choice ;)

ricicle said:
Red ties would not be good as an identifier now as the colours have changed.Brown and Blue would be the correct choice ;)

tiewraps.jpg

;)

I hope all the right people are still watching this one so I'll tag onto this one too.

Just been informed of a fail due to tails having a grey outer sheath. Apparently the outer should be the same colour as the inner, so Blue/Blue and Brown/Brown.

I am looking in the 17th edition as we speak, as well as BS6004 and can find nothing to confirm nor deny, but then I am not an electrician so I may be looking in the wrong places!

Can anyone comment (with references if poss)?

Ta all!
Oliver

sounds like nonsense to me

years ago tails used to be sheathed in red or black, but I have only seen grey sheaths recently. It is a good idea to apply identifying marks to the sheath to reduce mistakes.

Just been informed of a fail due to tails having a grey outer sheath.
Informed by whom? How did (s)he hear about it?

"Failed" in what way, and by whom - do they know what they are talking about?

Apparently the outer should be the same colour as the inner, so Blue/Blue and Brown/Brown.
If this were this so why would manufacturers go to all of the trouble and expense of making cables that nobody would buy?

Oh Ban, you always come across as so accusatory!

I have been informed by my customer, a wholesaler, that their customer, an electrician, has been asked to change tails by the local board because they are grey/blue and grey/brown.

And in case you hadn't guessed, we are a supplier of these cables, so it was news to me too! All I can find pertaining to it is this

Regulation 514-03-02
Every core of a cable shall be identifiable at its terminations and preferably throughout its length.
Binding and sleeves for identification purposes shall comply with BS 5838 where appropriate.

My fear is exactly that Ban, why would I have all this cable ready to sell if from now on, people want/need/require a different product!

Thanks awfully for your input gents.

Oh Ban, you always come across as so accusatory!
That's because this whole thing is such nonsense that it beggars belief.

I have been informed by my customer, a wholesaler, that their customer, an electrician, has been asked to change tails by the local board because they are grey/blue and grey/brown.
Well their customer can either roll over and let the local board impose this belief-beggaring nonsense or he can tell then to ****-off and die.

And in case you hadn't guessed, we are a supplier of these cables, so it was news to me too! All I can find pertaining to it is this

Regulation 514-03-02
Every core of a cable shall be identifiable at its terminations and preferably throughout its length.
Binding and sleeves for identification purposes shall comply with BS 5838 where appropriate.
And sheathed cables comply with that.

My fear is exactly that Ban, why would I have all this cable ready to sell if from now on, people want/need/require a different product!
They don't.

If they did, what colour sheath would twin & earth need to be?

That's because this whole thing is such nonsense that it beggars belief.

My mum always said "If you don't have anything nice to say, ****** !" I can appreciate your label of nonsense, but this really did happen and thus there is truth here too.

Well their customer can either roll over and let the local board impose this belief-beggaring nonsense or he can tell then to ****-off and die.

Well yes, they can, but not everyone is in a position to argue, or knowledgable enough to be sure, or confident enough to tell the guy that says yay or nay that he is wrong.

And sheathed cables comply with that.

Well yes they do, and as it states "preferably" I am happy, but the DNO wasn't so I should tell my customer "Bollards mate, now sling your hook!" I was looking for similar experiences to relate to, or identify this as a one off from a stupid DNO bloke!

They don't.

If they did, what colour sheath would twin & earth need to be?

Well again, thanks for your opinion, but this guy does, according to the DNO and has now had to source it elsewhere to get connected.

I can appreciate that twin and earth comes in a variety of outer sheath colours, but the cores are marked thoughout their length appropriately. 6181Y consists of one core effectively, and althought that core is marked appropriately with an inner sheath, some might interpret that the outer sheath only relates to that one core and thus should "preferably" be colour coded accordingly throughout its length.

Anyone else care to comment? I believe this potentially rogue muppet from the DNO is operating in the Surrey area, so perhaps those of that persuasion might comment, or anyone who has used or been asked to use blue/blue or brown/brown tails. I know of other suppliers that stock them and I know they are available, and I think I get the idea that it might not be all that wise to stock them judging by the demand, but it's nice to get feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back