Structural engineers eh!

Looking at those calcs, where has she got 'ceiling storage 5.0kN/m2' from?

That's about 100 lbs/sq ft, unless I'm missing something.

Seeing the pics, those beams just look so 'wrong'........... :eek:
Could be archive storage loading although the beams don't carry any ceiling load so can't be that.

For some reason she has designed for a max span of 8.1m, as opposed to around 5 1/2.

And then she's taken effective length of 1.2...which is conservative if the end of the beam is surrounded by new, well built blockwork.

And then, for some unknown reason she has limited deflection to 6mm.

Despite all this, allowing the deflection to go marginally over 6mm would have meant a pair of 203 UC 46s could have been used.

Are you sure they're not a surveyor? :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Doesn't seem to be a wide span; why not just one steel ridge beam, with 50x200 rafters, and a 2nd steel to support that bit of floor or whatever it is on the left?

Is the SE young/newly qualified?

The deflection calcs on both the 356 UB and the 254x146 are completely wrong too...I see the 254x146 has archive storage load...but why on the 356 UB?
It does look like a graduate has done calcs that have gone out completely unchecked.

Sponsored Links
Is the SE young/newly qualified?
Dunno, all the info I got was a piccy.......

Beautiful-business-woman-is-working-at-the-office.jpg

I thought all SE's were required to wear Tweed jackets with arm patches as part of ICE membership. She's not an engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back