Stud wall insulation

Just to say that when they sell this stuff for use inside the house they call it acoustic but it is the same material and the only difference is that they omit the Kraft paper from the roll( that's the vapour-barrier freddy :D when fitted in lofts !)

Sponsored Links
Acoustic insulation should always be soft, e.g. Rockwell, so it muffles the sound. Rigid foam like Kingspan etc. are poor sound insulators, though excellent thermal insulators.

Thanks for that. I have some mineral wool loft insulation left over which I am going to use. So that should be good for what I want it for.

Sponsored Links
Acoustic insulation should always be soft, e.g. Rockwell, so it muffles the sound. Rigid foam like Kingspan etc. are poor sound insulators, though excellent thermal insulators.
Small point (small mind, maybe) but:

Agreed, it mustn't be closed cell (e.g. Kingspan or Cellotex), but acoustic insulation 'could' be rigid. Dense mineral wool (acoustic grade or compressed thermal insulation) absorbs airborne sound energy in its mass. Any other 'heavy' open cell material (rigid or soft) would work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back