stud work timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I need to build several studwalls to partition bedrooms and the bathroom upstairs. I plan to stuff the walls with Rockwool sound insulation and then plasterboard.

I can see there are various types of timber dor stud and also varying sizes.

Can someone please advise on the most popular timber type and size for stud walls.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. 89mm or 63mm? What's the standard? I would prefer losing less space but interested to hear your opinion.

89mm is easier to fit insulation in and in my opinion the best choice however 63mm is often used just as much. It sometimes just gets specified in drawings on builds for example on my extension any studs off the main hall ways were 89mm where the ensuite walls in a room were on 63mm if they didnt back onto a hall way or other rooms.

63mm plus boards and skim if double sided is about 90mm when finished
89mm plus board and skim if double sided is about 113mm

Well stop letting people slam doors - modern house construction isn't suitable for anything other than gentle living.

By 'modern' I mean anything chucked up by national housebuilders rather than builders who want to deliver a quality product to their clients.

38 x 89 is the closest I can find in metric terms. Shall I go with this guys and shoudl I be using the smaller size for the ensuite walls?

38 x 89 is the closest I can find in metric terms. Shall I go with this guys and shoudl I be using the smaller size for the ensuite walls?
The sacrifice is up to you.
Thinner walls means flimsier walls in terms of sound travel and sturdiness, fixing to etc. However, being thin does not necessarily mean inadequate.
Thicker walls means less space.

Which do you value more space or privacy?

Thanks. Presumaby the extra privacy or sturdiness gained from a few millimeters is minimal and ofcourse the eaxtra space gained from the smaller studs os also trivial. My point: I'm unusre on the level of compromise I am making and didn't know if you pros always side to a particular size...

I am inclined to go with the 89mm studs at the moment....

Well stop letting people slam doors - modern house construction isn't suitable for anything other than gentle living.

By 'modern' I mean anything chucked up by national housebuilders rather than builders who want to deliver a quality product to their clients.
A house thrown up by a national developer I lived in had walls constructed with 25x50 battens and two layers of PB so overall they were 50 thick. Survived many a slamming incident.

I've gone with the 89mm studs. Thanks for everyones input.
Question - I have current walls that are made of the eggshell construction. Any suggestions on how I can connect the new studs to this structure to ensure it is sturdy?

A house thrown up by a national developer I lived in had walls constructed with 25x50 battens and two layers of PB so overall they were 50 thick. Survived many a slamming incident.

(Assuming you remember the Monty Python Yorkshiremen sketch)

50mm thick walls, you were lucky, I grew up in an ouse wit walls s thin tha could see t'sunlight filtering through 'em - not that we had sun in Yorkshire

The new stud wall is fixed to floor and ceiling and shouldn't be gaining any support from adjacent walls other than With paramount boards construction you should find a timber stud (and I use the term in it's loosest form!) at the ends (vertical) of the board. This might give you enough of a fixing to screw to the first stud in your new wall to limit any movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back