stuff hanging out of the boot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to get another 8 foot concrete post to fix my fence.
without unbolting the front seat of the car, I don't think I will get it in the car totally.
I'm not paying another tenner to have a ten quid post delivered the 3 miles to my house, and I really don't want to buy a roof rack for just one post..

this leaves me with the quandry of having about 2 foot of post sticking out of the back of my car..

as long as the boot is empty ( so nothing falls out ) and I tie down the boot lid, is it ok to do this or is it illegal?

Sponsored Links
Usually there are no objections, providing the car isn't overloaded, the load is secured, and the lights and number plate aren't obscured.

Tie / tape a flag or plastic bag to mark the end of the (over)load for the benefit of folowing motorists.

Keep your windows open in case exhaust gases get drawn into the car through the open boot lid.

Sponsored Links
Keep your windows open in case exhaust gases get drawn into the car through the open boot lid.

I think you will find by having the windows open, this will cause the exhaust gases to be drawn into the car, because when the air passes the open window it tends to draw air from the car, just as a chimney works, the air needs to be replaced so it naturally draws air from a low pressure area such as behind the car, where the boot is open, this air is drawn back into the car.

Back