Country
United Kingdom
Make : Ford
Model : Fiesta
Engine size/Type : Petrol 1.4 Zetec
Year : 2004
Mileage : 90,000

Afternoon all.

Looking for a bit of help or a few ideas on my pain in the *** fiesta. Model above.

She runs ok idle. She pull away slowly ok too. If you change gears slowly and creep up to 2-3k rpm up to 3rd gear she's ok. Problem starts when you gain speed, and when you hit the accelerator quickly. She stutters, quite badly as soon as you open it up a bit quick on the throttle. Between traffic lights in the city the car's fine as you can drive cautiously, in lower gears at lower rpm, but there's no way she can get onto a dual carriageway like this. A daft way to explain it is it feels like it has asthma. Breathing little breaths she's fine, as soon as she inhales quickly she coughs like mad.

I've already this week changed the spark plugs, the coil pack, air filter, and fuel filter.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the obvious question is any fault codes?

Always helpful before spending loadsa money.

Yes as above
You could take the air filter out and see if things change without it?
Inspect air / vacuum hoses for cracks, leaks.

Perhaps the obvious question is any fault codes?

Always helpful before spending loadsa money.

cheers. should i get an obd scanner or take it to a garage to get plugged in?

Yes as above
You could take the air filter out and see if things change without it?
Inspect air / vacuum hoses for cracks, leaks.

thanks. will get onto that.

Sponsored Links
Local small garage will scan for a set charge if you ask them.
Double check the scanner will do your car , if you decide to purchase.

So, it's a bit of a weird one.

First i changed the plugs. Still bad. Then i changed the coilpack. Still bad. Then i changed the fuel filter. Drove it 10 miles, still bad.

Decided to take her to the garage. Told them what was wrong, and asked them to plug it in for OBD check, check codes etc, and to give her a drive and tell me what they thought.

They checked and reset the codes. Nothing of worth to report, (minor battery prob from little use). They took her for a spin soon after and she drove fine. They called me and said it feels ok. I told them to keep hold of her, and take her for a spin on the dual carriageway so that they could hit higher speeds. Didn't hear from them for a while.

They had the car for a week, trying things out few times a day on the side. Still couldn't see anything wrong with her.

Picked her up, drove her 250 miles. And she drives sweet. Best she's ever been.

How,.... i don't know....

They probably drove it like they stole it ............
Unless they picked something up without noticing (pipe off etc)
Were they expensive, I'd say the car was never as glad to get home ....... :p

The code reset may have cleared some learned values in the ecu if some codes were logged, a reboot if you like.

Weren't expensive at all. Around £26, for getting it plugged and half hour labour....(even though they had the car for a week). Very pleased.

Sponsored Links
Back