Sub Floor for Wood Block Flooing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some reclaimed wood block flooring which I plan to glue down as part of a house renovation.
Can the wood block floor be glued directly to the existing floorboards if I screw them down first? I am recluctant to add a 6mm ply base as this would raise the level.

Sponsored Links
No. The flex and natural movement of your existing floorboards will cause yoru wood blocks to move too and create gaps etc.
6mm ply isn't thick enough to prevent this either. Use 12mm and screw every 25cm.
Or.... remove existing floorboards and replace with 18mm plywood.

No. The flex and natural movement of your existing floorboards will cause yoru wood blocks to move too and create gaps etc.
6mm ply isn't thick enough to prevent this either. Use 12mm and screw every 25cm.
Or.... remove existing floorboards and replace with 18mm plywood.

Is it ok to replace existing with 18mm floor grade chipboard?

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to replace existing with 18mm floor grade chipboard?
No, modern floor grade chipboard isn't suitable to glue onto I'm afraid. Or you'll have to use special design parquet chipboard we still can get hold of. 830 x 1250mm sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back