substitute radiator shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of my radiators are very close under windowsills, and I can't get ordinary rad shelves slotted in. So far I've been using bits of cardboard slotted in at an angle to deflect heat, and this works well but looks rubbish.

Any ideas what light material I could use to angle the same way, also what paint to use on it if necessary. Slightly worried if heat warping/chemical emissions might be problem with wrong materials.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion Gus. But wouldn't it absorb heat rather than deflect it into the room? Also would paint just peel off? Maybe plants, curtains etc would frazzle... I'm just guessing here
Thanks for responding

Sponsored Links
Thanks for response Wrath. This was my first thought, but I've read much on internet about formaldehyde and arsenical chemicals being used in their production, which becomes dangerous when heated (hence my reference to toxic fumes). I rang Wilkes who said they wouldn't advise their use.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how materials respond to prolonged heat from radiator, and how they would react with several coats of paint?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

thin pine stripwood? i got some about 65mmx9mm in b and q recently.

a new windowsill on top off the old or replacing the old and off course coming farther forward

Your rads are too tall :cry: There are literally hundreds of rad options that will both satisfy the heat required in a room and not interfere with windows etc . I was asking customers what rads they wanted - back in the 70`s - nothing changes , still get what you`re given on a lot of installs :rolleyes: Sheet aluminium with an etch primer - until you need a new rad ;)

Thanks for replies. I'll look into thin pine strips, sounds cheap and do-able.
I had my rads changed when I moved to this house - before I thought of r shelves. Quite right, no options given... Naively, I didn't even know there were options! I just needed upgrade to proper working rads at the time. My current cardboard works pretty well holding back curtains and deflecting heat!

There are plywoods with low levels of formaldehyde, E0 being the lowest. Many suppliers should be able to get you some E1 if not E0., also look for CARB compliance. eg http://www.falconpp.co.uk/plywood.php TBH your exposure would be pretty low regardless. The free radicals in the plastics around your home are probably of greater concern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back