success Repressurising expansion vessel

It's fine now, didn't cut off at all last night or this morning, so I think it's fine, I checked outside to see if any pressure valves "let of any steam" but all dry out there, job done! Thanks for hints, it got me thinking.

Sponsored Links
Now, what I just tried seems to let me pump the varem expansion, I turned the main water off, twisted the blue valve in the picture the release some water, it is now allowing me to pump it up, I've got to about 2.5 bar, but tiring ! Will see what happens later when the heating comes on (y)
It worked, no problems so far, it's been on twice now, normally the red light would have been on by now.

I'm confused, you were playing around with the un-vented hot water cylinder's inlet/expansion and now your boiler's ok?? :confused:

The expansion vessel lack of air in it must have been making the boiler turn off and needing the boiler to be reset. Still working fine

Sponsored Links
No, don't think you understand, if that's the EV for the UnVented HW it has nothing to do with the boiler, it handles the expansion of the HW from the cylinder, totally separate from the Central heating circuit.

If your boiler is now working then fair enuf, my concern is that you have altered one of the safety devices for your un-vented hot water, if that's the case then you need to have it looked at by a qualified engineer as that can be very dangerous.

I see, but the hot water cylinder and the central heating are now fine, I was not sure if it was hot water or central heating cutting it off, couldn't tell, all seems fine though, thanks. They have safety pressure valves, they all work, so i should be ok?

There are key safety devices attached to your un-vented hot water cylinder, these systems should only be modified/checked by a qualiferd engineer. The temperature/pressure relief valve, the expansion vessel and the thermostat amongst others.

As you have dropped the pressure within your expansion vessel below it's operating norm, the expansion vessel may not work as designed and you may have compromised one of the safety systems, that needs to be checked and tested by a qualified un-vented cylinder engineer.

Could it be ok, possibly, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Was waiting for someone to post that vid cos I was searching for it, well done madrab.

We want a new house any way, only joking, will get someone to double check it. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back