Sudden large increase in water consumption in flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live on my own in a block of flat (build around 10 years ago). My yearly usage was 36 to 50 m3 in the previous years, but has now increased to 100 m3 according to the last bill received, based on water meter reading.

Online estimators say that I should use around 50 m3 per year (although I have a boosting pump for hot water, so showers are probably using a lot of water).

I haven't changed any usage patterns, don't have leaks in the flat, WC cistern seems fine etc. There is a water tank on the roof for the flat (to boost cold water pressure), but was inspected and does not leak either.

What could explain such increase, apart from a faulty meter?

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Observe water meter when no water is being used (should not move). If the meter is external to property, close internal stop tap and observe water meter as above. Once went to a care home where there was a leak outside of the property at a rate of 1,000 litres (1 Ton) per 15 minutes! With no apparent sign of a leak above ground despite this happening for months. Please report back with observations.

James.

There is a water tank on the roof for the flat (to boost cold water pressure), but was inspected and does not leak either.

But possibly another flat has teed into your pipe not realising it's yours or that your supply is metered.

Or possibly realising perfectly well it's your pipe and someone is stealing your water. :evil:

Sponsored Links
There is a good chance the pipework has been teed into and being used by another flat

The consumption is nearly twice the amount so it seems another flat is running off your supply

Thanks all.

Three other flats are reporting about double consumption of water, over the last year or so, so I think there is a common fault somewhere, that developed around the same time.

I think stealing water from other flats would require redirecting the pipes in some of the communal cupboards, so that would be visible.

Those flats are on the 2nd or 3rd floor, so have a water tank on the roof to boost pressure. We checked those tanks and there are no obvious signs of leaks or overflowing.

One of the resident from on flat called Thames Water, they checked the meter (positioned in some hole in the garden) but said there was no fault.

Get someone to do a sound test on the meter, i.e. long rod placed on the meter and the other in the "lughole" to detect water noise. Seems to me that if all are reporting extra loss there is, as already suggested, a ground leak.

You didn't report back on whether the meter is actually going around when your flat is not knowingly using water.
If it is going around then you probably have a leak.
If it is not going around then the water is being drawn off and used.

On the information so far :-

1. Your useage on your bill has gone up
2. You don't have leaks in your flat or in the roof
3. Unlikley anyone could tap off your supply without it being seen
4. Thames Water say there is not a problem
5. Other flat owners are seeing the same problem

I would suggest :-

1. As a priority, establish if there is a leak or not, see above
2. Find leak if there is one and deal with it
3. If no leak, then draw off a known quantity of water, say 10 litres, and check the meter is accurate
4. Read the meter when you go out, then read it again when you get back home

andytw

This is a very simple problem but needs your attention for a few minutes.

Firstly have you checked the billed readings against the actual meter reading?

Have you checked that the meter does not record any consumption when left for a day on night?

Tony

Thames Water has been on site today, and basically the meter supposed to be connected to my flat was the wrong one (wrong serial number), so I have been paying for the water consumption of another flat.

The technician just switched off the supply by the meter, and I was still getting water. He switched off the supply on the next meter, and my supply stopped.

Annoying, but better than some unknown leaks!

Pleased this is resolved, but pretty much in-line with the suggestions given to you earlier e.g.

3. If no leak, then draw off a known quantity of water, say 10 litres, and check the meter is accurate

and

Have you checked that the meter does not record any consumption when left for a day on night?

andytw

Thames Water has been on site today, and basically the meter supposed to be connected to my flat was the wrong one (wrong serial number), so I have been paying for the water consumption of another flat.

The technician just switched off the supply by the meter, and I was still getting water. He switched off the supply on the next meter, and my supply stopped.

Annoying, but better than some unknown leaks!

We had a similar thing when we moved into our house - we share the first part of our driveway with next door before it splits into two for the individual houses, and in the road the left hand meter relates to the right hand house and vice versa. Took quite a while to figure that one out!

Pleased this is resolved, but pretty much in-line with the suggestions given to you earlier e.g.

and

andytw

The issue is that the meter is very deep and dirty, so hard to read.

The meter not recording any consumption when left for a day or night would not have necessarily highlighted the issue, as my neighbours are also out during the day.

The best resolution for me was to call Thames Water and have them stop the water and check in the flat to see if the supply was also cut.
They have to check themselves which meter is the correct one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back