Suggestions for simple front door security camera

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lots of options out there, so confused. I want a simple to use, always on system, with a clear screen. Ideally mains powered so I don't have to keep replacing batteries. Struggling to find something that fits my requirements, so any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Do your want to be able to record or just view?

What’s your budget. Is the place you intend to have it under cover or will the camera need to be water proof?

Just view really - am planning additional recorded CCTV too. Will be under a covered porch. Budget, ideally not more than £100, the less the better right now!

You could buy a cheap but with a decent picture wireless camera which can be mounted easily and all you will need to do is hook up the power.

For instance https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-O...&qid=1515439837&sr=8-14&keywords=Wireless+cam

Usually I would shy away from wireless for an external cam but if it is simply viewing like checking who is knocking at the door I would do it.

I wouldn’t use wireless for a home security CCTV system which I intend to record from.

Sponsored Links
how do you view it though? Would I need to turn on a phone, activate app etc?

For me I would not like that as I dont quite get the point you are basically replacing the peep hole with a screen.

If you was elderly or worried about who was knocking at the door and wanted to take a picture before opening then yea it’s ok, but I would just look through the peep hole.

The WiFi camera option is because I would want to be sitting on my sofa someone knocks I click the app on my phone and see them without moving.

Also the other problem with the one you have posted is someone can simply put there finger over the peep hole and you would see nothing a camera is a bit harder to cover depending where it is and also a detterent in itself as people see it, no one would know you have a camera in the peep hole.

It comes down to what you want from it, from your first post it’s a bit unclear what your reasons are for the camera.

Is it hidden security to spy on door knockers?
Is it a detterent to stop crime?
Etc

Good points. The purpose is just to see who is there before opening the door. But, our current door has 2 frosted panes, so it is not possible to use a peep hole without it being really obvious!
I am starting to think that a new door plus peep hole might be a more sensible option all round. But, much more expensive!

Although, maybe one of these, and some paint for the glass panes.... that would save me several hundred pounds...

well, ordered the analogue spy hole. Just need to decide on the best coating for the glass panes - paint, opaque film, or something else?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back