Suitable construction for a floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - New here (slightly dim about DIY/building)

I am converting a barn (you might get fed up of hearing about it)

Currently it is a single skin of breeze blocks on a base of 8 inch concrete

I am planning on putting down a damp proof membrane on the floor, laying a wet underfloor heating system, screeding over the top.

Putting some sort a damp membrane on the walls the 2 inches of insulation, the doing a stud wall, insulating it and plaster board over the top.

Will this work?

Or do I need to put an extra sheet of plaster board (or something) between the 2 inch insulation and the stud work?

Any helpful suggestions or thoughts?

TIA
Katymac

Sponsored Links
If you're converting into a habitable building you'll need building regs approval (and probably planning permission?) which means you'll have to put drawings into Building Control. The drawings will show general arrangement but you can raise queries with the inspector as you go along.

Gosh - yes I will need PP & BRapproval, however they have said the more info I put in at the beginning the faster the whole thing will move along

So I am trying to find out as much as I can so that I have a vague idea what I am talking about to them (& the contractors)

your "dry lining" with studding may work but the cost might be more than ..say building another block wall inside the existing structure and plastering it ....I wouldn`t want to see plasterboard in a barn conversion :mad: ;) your builder will know the costs....have a look @ some of the period property sites..........but DO NOT use concrete made with lime :eek: .......maybe use lime mortar on the walls hth.

Sponsored Links
Nige - it is a breeze block barn with an asbestos concrete roof...by no streach of the imagination a period property :D

I doubt I will be using lime anything, it's really a utility building

Would a second breezeblock wall really cost less than a stud wall

Hmmm something to think on

:LOL: :LOL: I thought about that after I`d shut the computer yesterday :rolleyes:

Sounds a little like a money pit, have you considered ripping it down and building new?

The floor construction may require a new concrete raft laid, and potentially new foundations for the walls. Barns were never built to last.

Well I have but I am assuming that new build will cost at least £1000 per sqm & I haven't got that much money

Of course i don't know much about building - but I am guessing that a permanent structure of 180 sqm costing about £70K is not an option

I can have a portacabin (yuk)
I cannot afford a logcabin (lowest quote so far £131K)

So refurbish is my only route

Be careful. Refurb can sometimes cost more than starting from scratch.

If you've got £70k to spend and 180m that works out at £388/m. Not impossible if you do a lot of the work yourself, but difficult.

If I were you I'd be getting as much good advice as possible at this stage to develop a realistic estimate.

If you spend a few hundred pounds with an architect it could save you many thousands in the long run. Costing up the difference between block and stud walls is a bit like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. There will be much greater potential money-traps than that.

Yep and water supply is a main one.....but I have sent a from for that
Then we have the removal of asbestos .....I am seeing a man about that tomorrow

Planning are keen to reuse an existing building

So is the guy that owns it :D

Roof is a known cost (at last)

Floor is becoming clearer (I need a price for 10m wooden I beams then I know)

Electrics I need a quote as do I for plumbing

Heating I also need a quote for

I am getting there (maybe?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back