Construction of a ceiling/floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new here - please deal gently with me

I am converting a modern agricultural barn. How do you make a second story?

I am assuming RSJ's (it is a 10m by 20m barn) with plaster board underneath, insulation in between, and chipboard on top

But how exactly - I am assuming it isn't that easy?

Thanks
Katymac

Sponsored Links
Hey, yes you could construct a floor using RSJ's with timber joists spanning off these. Sizing of RSJs would obviously require a structural engineer to do calcs which can then be sent to BC.
One question though, have you made sure that there will be sufficient head room in the barn for a second floor?

Ill try and send a drawing of a possible floor construction for tomorrow if i get time.

Regards

Rob Critchley

Thanks I would appreciate the drawing

Whether I have enough room depends on the height of a breeze block (I'm not exactly sure)

And the depth of the floor/ceiling bit

If the second floor has less usable space (going into the eaves) that should be OK anyway

(ps I hope this post goes in the right place??)

hey can you post your email address and ill send you some drawings

Regards

Rob Critchley

Sponsored Links
Are you doing this conversion ad-hoc and just making it up as you go along, or have you got building control involved and a proper design and specification?

Its not just a case of putting a floor in to walk on, a floor serves other structural functions too.

And can the walls and foundations actually take the load of another floor?

Ok can't have a second floor - the roof trusses(I think they are called) would get in the way & I can't afford new ones.

As far as proper design goes - not yet - PP have asked to see what I want to do - before I apply for planning and the BC chaps have said the same thing

My dad used to build ....but that was in the 70's so although he was MIstructE.....it's all a bit out of date.

Hopefully when I have my basic ideas sorted & I go to see an architect we will get it all properly sorted but I need as much knowledge as possible before that (to save on the architect redoing things that don't work).....I think? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back